Goldfarming in video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goldfarming in video games

The history of goldfarming began at a time untraceable to even the most dusty history books, but it can be said by mid-2004 goldfarming had already caught it stride with China alone hosting over 100k goldfarmers. This number only continued to increase with the release of more online games such as Linege, Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC), and everyone's mothers favourite MMO WoW by 2006 the goldfarming market was estimated to be greater than 200 million USD (or 1 billion Canadian). This number continues to increase to this day, with some developers working against goldfarming, and others even encouraging it like world renowned game developers Blizzard and their real money transaction systems in game (Diablo III)
    Originally posted by Eriko
    you dont have a sig

Comment

Goldfarming can bring several ethical concerns into question from both the side of gamers and the gaming industry, as well as the broke third world asians just trying to buy some damn rice to feed their kids.

First and foremost gold farming has been proven to inflate the games economy and eventually if not acted on can eventually cause a skyrocket that causes new users to be forced into the black (or should we call it GOLD) market of coin. This is usually corrected for very simply by game creators driving the market to the benefit of users and not farmers. Although these effects are still seen even if sanctioned by the game creators; such as Diablo III real money in game auction house. This ties back into my first anecdotal case where my fish money allowed me to ball out to the point that I had enough fish money to inflate the economy and thereby devalue everyone elses hard earned money (and especially fish). and the second story of my friend devaluing my hard earned gold by buying his own (social economical effect).

Next as described above faming has a significant social and economic role in developing countries, it represents and example of a likely future development trend specifically in outsourcing of online employment. Also this is an emerging example of liminal ICT work which exist in digital technologies at the edge of or just below our threshold of what is deamed socially acceptable or legal.

I had another point from the gamers perspective but it got lost in my rabbling so ill put this here just in case
      you dont have a sig

Comment

In conclusion if you read the first letter of every line you will get canibus first round vs diz
        you dont have a sig

Comment

poti comin thru with the fax

you da real mvp homie
          sigpic
          Professional amount-of-jellybeans-in-a-jar guesser.

Negging your alts since 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Potijelli View Post
            The history of goldfarming began at a time untraceable to even the most dusty history books, but it can be said by mid-2004 goldfarming had already caught it stride with China alone hosting over 100k goldfarmers. This number only continued to increase with the release of more online games such as Linege, Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC), and everyone's mothers favourite MMO WoW by 2006 the goldfarming market was estimated to be greater than 200 million USD (or 1 billion Canadian). This number continues to increase to this day, with some developers working against goldfarming, and others even encouraging it like world renowned game developers Blizzard and their real money transaction systems in game (Diablo III)
            Would you say Blizzard is encouraging it with that system or trying to stop goldfarming by doing that? I guess it is a way of them taking advantage of the fact that people are gonna buy gold, while trying to find a solution at the same time.
            sigpic

Comment

Goldfarming can bring several ethical concerns into question from both the side of gamers and the gaming industry, as well as the broke third world asians just trying to buy some damn rice to feed their kids.

First and foremost gold farming has been proven to inflate the games economy and eventually if not acted on can eventually cause a skyrocket that causes new users to be forced into the black (or should we call it GOLD) market of coin. This is usually corrected for very simply by game creators driving the market to the benefit of users and not farmers. Although these effects are still seen even if sanctioned by the game creators; such as Diablo III real money in game auction house. This ties back into my first anecdotal case where my fish money allowed me to ball out to the point that I had enough fish money to inflate the economy and thereby devalue everyone elses hard earned money (and especially fish). and the second story of my friend devaluing my hard earned gold by buying his own (social economical effect).

Next as described above faming has a significant social and economic role in developing countries, it represents and example of a likely future development trend specifically in outsourcing of online employment. Also this is an emerging example of liminal ICT work which exist in digital technologies at the edge of or just below our threshold of what is deamed socially acceptable or legal.

I had another point from the gamers perspective but it got lost in my rabbling so ill put this here just in case
              bro you killin it right here. 3-0 no debatin. this shit fire.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xplisit View Post
                Would you say Blizzard is encouraging it with that system or trying to stop goldfarming by doing that? I guess it is a way of them taking advantage of the fact that people are gonna buy gold, while trying to find a solution at the same time.
                I see it as their way to get a piece of the pie. It is technically encouraging the act of farming bc "hey look now we all get paid" and that causes the downfall to in game economy the same way (see ethical concerns) but I will say that I'm pretty sure they have closed the cash system bc they realized they were just as bad as the farmers
                you dont have a sig

Comment

Came here for Castle Clash hacks
                  Im Out

Comment

Gold farming is usually just a computer lab full of asians questing and crafting and stock piling currency to then trade to peoples accounts who pay them.

Most companies dont mind gold farming because it keeps people interested regardless if it fucks up ingame economy but the advertising in in-game chats that ruins the players experience can be an issue.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X