X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Over 90% of Americans believe in God

Originally posted by larry word View Post
    Originally posted by 00 Don Status View Post
    life changing, transcendent experiences, plenty of which are explainable as nothing more than an arousal of their nervous system due to a profound event, adrenaline, drugs hallucinations, oxygen deprivation hallucinations (near death experiences) etc.
    see but my point is science by nature is always changing and progressive (or at least it should be)

there could very well be other phenomena that science currently isn't able to capture or repeat in controlled experiments. the fact that science currently cannot do that does not preclude the "reality" of those whatsoever. science/philosophy has had an extensive history of superseded theories and it seems silly to place what to me is an unjustified amount of "faith" (lol) in the current state of science
    yeah the fact it is always changing is party of why its so useful. superseded theories haven't been as dramatic as you might be suggesting, at least not in a way that should discredit science's ability to determine facts. Science is only corrected by more, better science.

However science changing doesn't suggest, for example, that we could one day find out the world is a tetrahedron...we have massive amounts of different evidence and testing that confirms its an ellipse so its reasonable to consider this to be a fact and not say it will change at some point. figured you meant the faith is the current state of science as a joke with the lol, but yeah...faith is exactly what science inherently avoids. i dont see how anything is sill when im not placing faith in anything; i do however believe the independently verifiable conclusions drawn by the overwhelming majority of experts regarding things that are considered to be scientific facts at this state in time. Like with peer-reviewed journals, there are a lot of oversight and rigorous scrutiny that goes into them by qualified experts.

The reason i come across as very appreciative of science is that I have a BS in biology

Comment

i think the miscommunication here is about what you meant by truth or whatever

science will never ever figure out the purpose of life, it's a strictly personal decision

unless, of course, it turns out we really are in the matrix
      mean girls.mp3

maybe columbo or adrian monk knows

Comment

haha idk man, i dont think how i spoke about truth was different than you might have been. its all practical knowledge too, no absolute certainty

Comment

would you take the blue or the red pill?

Comment

my original qualm was with this

I'm just saying if they *Are going to seriously question the existence of god, the most effective way to go about doing so would be regarding it as the scientific matter that it is.
            i just disagree with this completely because you're completely bonkers if you start defining "god" in a way such that science can begin to explore it. the idea of a god in the way that 95% of people use the term is strictly personal and experience-based, like when people are close to death in the hospital, or tripping on psychedelic drugs, meditating, doing yoga, etc.

i think the other 5% would refer to "god" as something related to the start of the universe(s) or any sort of matrix-y discovery (for example if we discover with science that we're in the matrix, then uh, yeah i guess science did demonstrate that we have a god of some sort). but that's not really what anyone means when they talk about their beliefs in god and finding the truth/meaning in life

mixing science and god was basically concluded back in the greek philosophy days, we off dat now and it's silly to bring it up. that's all im sayin
            mean girls.mp3

Comment

edit: double post nh
              mean girls.mp3

Comment

true Horus was born from a virgin too
                Watching documentaries and acting like you know shit>>
                Team Vash

Comment

your little and your wack, ima call you LilWaculate
                  "I got niggas that hate me, bitches that love me, Hands do damage so i manage to stay handsome when shit could get ugly"

Comment

Originally posted by vash View Post
                    projecting your own faggotry/assuming that something you didn't know had to have been learning in a documentary>

Comment

Originally posted by vash View Post
                      negged for never contributing anything of interest to a conversation i been takin notes on you my dumb faggot

Comment

I'm just saying if they *Are going to seriously question the existence of god, the most effective way to go about doing so would be regarding it as the scientific matter that it is.
                        i just disagree with this completely because you're completely bonkers if you start defining "god" in a way such that science can begin to explore it. the idea of a god in the way that 95% of people use the term is strictly personal and experience-based, like when people are close to death in the hospital, or tripping on psychedelic drugs, meditating, doing yoga, etc.

i think the other 5% would refer to "god" as something related to the start of the universe(s) or any sort of matrix-y discovery (for example if we discover with science that we're in the matrix, then uh, yeah i guess science did demonstrate that we have a god of some sort). but that's not really what anyone means when they talk about their beliefs in god and finding the truth/meaning in life

mixing science and god was basically concluded back in the greek philosophy days, we off dat now and it's silly to bring it up. that's all im sayin
                        this is where i bring up positive claims again. I'm not the one defining anything, i'm responding to the positive claim those originally set forth by theists saying "a god/gods exists"...it doesn't matter which of the thousands of definitions for a god they're operating under, its their burden of proof and responsibility to define whatever god they are claiming exists. the word god is self defeating and meaningless to me so im not defining anything plaire. but yeah god has no explanatory power these days so its infrequently discussed in science. for example, certain god claims can be explored by science, like w the claim that a god answers prayers. studies have been done on intercessory prayer that show it is likely nothing more than chance. i agree though that almost all definitions of it are so abstract (and often fallacious) that they are almost always an untestable claim. either way, whether or not it is testable, the existence or non existence X is still a scientific matter

Comment

Well said, but I disagree. Science is empirical. We can test it and recreate our theories. All we have to go on with god is blind faith because some book tells us we have to have blind faith.

Sometimes I wish I felt god, but I don't. However, I do think (and I'm just speaking of the population generally) we should look for something more before we blindly follow a book that tells us to deny our basic needs--sex and masturbation, shun people because their ideas on love don't fall in line with main stream society--LGTB, and essentially hate women or regard them as lessor beings.
                          Enson Ro's a hoe fo sho

Comment

you my girl Shitty

Comment

this is where i bring up positive claims again. I'm not the one defining anything, i'm responding to the positive claim those originally set forth by theists saying "a god/gods exists"...it doesn't matter which of the thousands of definitions for a god they're operating under, its their burden of proof and responsibility to define whatever god they are claiming exists.
                              but no one gives a fuck about convincing you that it exists (except for like, people handing out flyers trying to get you to come to their church... in which case that's not really an attempt to convince you that god exists per se... it's not an intellectual debate at that point)

i just get a feeling you haven't really spoken to anyone who has studied religion or is a very well-read christian, so you're still on that middle school atheism tip where where you go 'nyah nyah could god make a rock that he himself could not move??? yeah thought so! take that theists!!!'

you know about qualia, right? do you believe in that? what's your stance on qualia if you stand by this "science defines everything" rulebook?
                              mean girls.mp3

Comment

this is where i bring up positive claims again. I'm not the one defining anything, i'm responding to the positive claim those originally set forth by theists saying "a god/gods exists"...it doesn't matter which of the thousands of definitions for a god they're operating under, its their burden of proof and responsibility to define whatever god they are claiming exists.
                                but no one gives a fuck about convincing you that it exists (except for like, people handing out flyers trying to get you to come to their church... in which case that's not really an attempt to convince you that god exists per se... it's not an intellectual debate at that point)

i just get a feeling you haven't really spoken to anyone who has studied religion or is a very well-read christian, so you're still on that middle school atheism tip where where you go 'nyah nyah could god make a rock that he himself could not move??? yeah thought so! take that theists!!!'

you know about qualia, right? do you believe in that? what's your stance on qualia if you stand by this "science defines everything" rulebook?
                                dude why do you insist on suggesting im saying things that im not? ive spoken to plenty of christians and went to church every sunday until highschool. i have studied the fuck out of religion "take that theist?" wtf how are you getting my attitude about this so wrong when im just explaining my position logically with no negative or condescending tone (unlike how you just came across tbh).

i'll say it one last time I KNOW nobody gives a fuck about convincing me, okay? i never once said they should...you're not even quoting me and explaining what you disagree with specifically, you've just met some atheists and assume you know everything about my personal position. You started by talking about personal experiences and shit like that and im just responding post by post to some of what you've been saying, when frankly you've done a lot of strawmanning and assuming in general ..no nana poo poo take that theist ! faggotry bullshit. I haven't imposed on anyone here in any way. What you quoted of me here are some of the basic underpinnings of epistemology. Have you ever talked with a non middle school atheist who is educated on the subjects of religion, epistemology and science?

"science defines everything" here you go again. explain exactly where i said that, other than the fact of saying something existing or not existing is a scientific matter.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X