League exclusivity contracts: good or bad for battlerap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: League exclusivity contracts: good or bad for battlerap?

Originally posted by hippoCritical View Post
    Originally posted by jdjohnson View Post
    Jesus.

What in the fuck.

This is some of the worst logic I've ever seen in the O, and that says a lot.

I'm gonna go now.

were saying, lets assume that all the battlers are on exclusive contracts.

WHAT happens to battlerap as an effect of that condition (only exclusive contracts)
    URL would continue to thrive

Every other league would suffer because they poach URL talent

Comment

appreciate all the diff povs, i hope leagues and battlers themselves are having conversations like this.

also, it would be cool if some media outlet did more slightly semi-academic work on battlerap like we were doing in this thread

Comment

Jesus.

What in the fuck.

This is some of the worst logic I've ever seen in the O, and that says a lot.

I'm gonna go now.

were saying, lets assume that all the battlers are on exclusive contracts.

WHAT happens to battlerap as an effect of that condition (only exclusive contracts)
        URL would continue to thrive

Every other league would suffer because they poach URL talent
        ok that makes sense, and battlerap AS A WHOLE (like total output) would suffer ahlie?

Comment

Originally posted by Naylya View Post
          KOTD couldnt have contracts because most of the people on KOTD actually hope that at some point they can go to the URL lmao
          This, this, this, this, this.

And it is hilarious the way they try to justify it, lol.
          i agree.
          that is true 100%, there are more economic opportunities in URL that makes sense.

its just that it seems like your making this into some battlerap ethnic conflict.

just talking about how exclusive contracts effects battlerap AS A industry as a WHOLE
          I'm not trying to make it into anything.

I just find it wild how people make villains out of a business not wanting its efforts wasted.

KOTD still has a solid roster to be real

They'd be forced to find more talent

So would RBE

The hilarious thing is that the entire battle rap world might be better off for it but everyone's too weird to see it that way

Comment

Jesus I knew Oxy was an idiot but this is fucking astounding
            100% more educated and intelligent than you

Comment

KOTD: Shotti P, A Ward, P Nut, Geechi etc signed to exclusive contracts - GZ used as a PG for talent

RBE: develop Craig Lamar, Mr Mills, etc (try to sign who you want to sign etc)

The hilarious thing is that battlers who have issues with URL will always be there - and they could go elsewhere

Comment

The hilarious thing is that the entire battle rap world might be better off for it but everyone's too weird to see it that way

what we are arguing is the opposite. in a monopoly (i.e. exclusive contracts), for the economy (battlerap) as a whole it results in inefficieny (maximum possible output isnt produced). this is bad for the consumers becaues they get less (output/ # of battles / utlity from battles) than they would otherwise if there were no contracts (i.e. perfect competition).

In perfect competition, the market would dictate all the battles that happen and no URL blocking could happen so thus battlerap as a whole would be better off.

What are you arguements that show that exclusive contracts are better for battlerap as WHOLE?

Comment

Even Bullpen has solid talent

Battle rap is big enough for there to be teenagers/older guys honing the hell out of their craft and emerging

There's this idea that talented is somehow limited

No one ever introduces that in the rap industry, some weirdo just has some trappy song about molly and gets signed

There's no concept of a "shortage"

With enough talent - (battle rap is big enough for there to be the desire for it) - battle rap can easily thrive with contracts

Comment

@David Deas

chess vs Tony D

T Top vs Shotti P

Brizz vs Shotty Horroh

a lot bro, basically any battle that would fit for URL stage as well but would still be dope to see as a fan

Comment

Exclusive contracts are 100 percent better for battle rap as a whole because URL has the best production value

Battles like Verb/Surf on Gorilla Warfare proved this

I literally said this on the first page man

I can't repeat every point I ever made constantly

Comment

If you think Verb/Surf was great for the culture you're an absolute idiot

Exclusivity would have changed that

You know how fire that battle could've been on URL? How different it would have been?

Comment

fair enough

Comment

ok for that surf/ verb battle.

lets say they get exclusive contracts.

and URL refuses to pay them what they wanted?

would that be good for the battlers?

Comment

The bottom line is that NOT EVERYONE WILL SIGN THE CONTRACTS

JC/QP still went down on Black Ice

As did Danja Zone/DNA

As did Qleen/K Shine

Chilla/QP

Black Ice production value is dope

All the Phily guys fuck with Krack Liberty - Rosenberg/Reed was one of my favorite battles of the year

Comment

if there was a battle rapper labor union that collectively negotiated with leagues, do you think they would favor exclusive contracts that limit their earning ability?

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X