New Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gear

I haven't been making music or keeping up with gear in about 5 years but have been going to moog audio and some of the new stuff is actually really good and comparable to the vintage classics which is crazy.

the new minis are excellent and sound like your average vintage one. i would only take an ra moog one or heavily modified vintage one over these. the keyboard is way better imo and has aftertouch. easily worth the high pricetag and isn't something you will grow out of espec if you are rap/hip hop fan. no sync added tho which is bizarre to me cuz that is the first mod i would do and one of the most common I've seen.

this thing (dave smith Ob-6) is actually fucking amazing and probably the best keyboard i've played out of around 100. it needs a firmware update imo and i have been meaning to write them a lengthy email about some questionable functionality but holy fuck it sounds amazing. totally killed my lust for vintage polysynths except like cs-80, chroma, matrix 12 which are all fairly impractical to own imo.

for the price this thing is great imo and probably the most immediate feeling drummachine i've tried. the snare kinda sucks but other than that i was really impressed with what they've done for the price and Arturia does an excellent job of making sure over critical gearsnobs have a hard time faulting their feature set. Great first drummachine for someone looking to get some hardware or is tired of making beats on computer.

This is made in Toronto and priced under $1000.. pretty esoteric and I probably wouldnt recommend as first synth (it would be fine tho) but I think it's the most interesting and innovative product under $1k usd. The envelopes have these little scales and other uncommon modes and can clock at audiorate.. the filters dont self oscillate unless you feed them back into themselves which i guess is to save music store speakers from idiots or something i dunno.

Re: New Gear

the eurorack modular stuff is still probably the most powerful way to get unique sounds of really high quality but there are like 3400 modules in existence so unless you have serious cash to burn and the patience to research what seems like a fucking endless amount of prodigious nerd shit i wouldn't go near it.. it seems like a huge money pit and i think it will fall out of popularity in the next 3-5 years. I still might throw together a sequencing rig and get some drummodules as some of them are exceptional... but its scary to get into if you have addictive personality

Comment

its worth mentioning that the synth market is still super small imo and i think the prices on the new stuff are going to fall considerably

the arp odyssey clones with minikeys were being sold for like $500 which is really good value compared to what you could build or get in modular. i understand why the little arps werent popular as anyone who knows what the fuck they are would want a fullsize one but for someone like me who doesnt care about authenticity they are a total bargain at 500. i will be on the lookout for used minikey one and desktop one for the space they take up you can do some insane things with 2.

Comment

the 5 pieces i posted if you looked for them used you could get all 5 for around 6k usd which sounds high but 2 years ago it would have been triple that for similar power imo.

Comment

that drumbrute looks goddamn amazing bc if you choose to go digital all the pads & knobs are MIDI capable
          let the 40 cal give 'em a perm

Comment

yes i think it can stream audio thru usb which might mean alot to some people who dont have mixer/converters etc. i didnt need the manual for anything when i was testing it in store and once i read it i have to say i would have a really hard time offering a better product for the price. snare sound is my only complaint but not everything needs to sound like 808/909

Comment

for triggering samples and stuff its great the pads felt ok and they give you option to program via tr style step programming or just playing the pads in real time. analog drum sounds are def not for everyone and my immediate thought was it sounded too techno but as controller it is worth the 600 or whatever for that alone imo

Comment

between the filter and randomizer it was super easy to modify a pattern fast without doing anything to what you actually programmed

Comment

if you get creative you can do some fairly usable synth sounds with analog drum machines. this guy set bpm to like 300 or whatever it goes up to and just made pattern more steps

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOHB4HAj3kb/

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgwSyRmAb8[/ame]

sigpic

Comment

♋_♋

Comment

Analog polysynth made by Behringer??? The thing actually sounds great i only messed around for like 5 minutes though. Probably the best hardware synth for the money currently based on what my friend is saying.. and that dude has all the big polys

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X