Promo Battles: Are They “No Win” or “No Lose” Situations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promo Battles: Are They “No Win” or “No Lose” Situations?

“If winning isn’t everything, why do they keep score?” – Vince Lombardi

The above quote was spoken by legendary Green Bay Packers coach, Vince Lombardi, who most famously achieved three straight league wins, and five in seven years, with his 1960s Packers team. It’s one line, but it is applicable to a great many things in life.

Much is said of equality, and much should be said of equality. If a woman can do a job as well as a man, she deserves equal pay. If you can do anything as well as someone else, you deserve a shot at that activity or responsibility. However, we aren’t all equal. If I am in a burning building, I’m going to naturally feel safer if a firefighter comes to rescue me, as opposed to a woman. If I want a lawyer, I don’t give a fuck. There are things women are better at, things men are better at. To deny this is to deny and stunt intellectual and personal growth.

What’s my point? My point is superiority and advancement. Being better than your peers and embracing that. It’s my belief that you should never lessen your abilities just to satiate the people who are bothered that they cannot do the same. It’s for that reason that I find promo battles to be a mightily confusing animal.

Promo battles are, as all of you may know, battles that aren’t judged. Of course, all battles are ultimately judged by the fans and, more often than not, the two opposing lyrical combatants will turn in performances that speak for themselves. With that said, should all battles be judged? Should none be judged? What are the benefits of promo battles and why are promo battles, in some cases, damaging to the sport?

Case in Point: Hollohan Vs Cortez at King of the Dot’s Blackout 2 event. I am in complete agreement with Cortez’s decision to make this battle promo. Who in their right mind would want to face a returning Hollohan in Toronto, and have it judged? Some could argue cowardice, but you cannot blame Cortez for perhaps fearing bias may be afoot. “YO! IT’S HOLLOHAN, A.K.A. GOD! WHAT THE FUCK?!” With that one immense, sonorous battle cry it became clear that Toronto was on Hollohan’s back. Who can blame them? Impartiality should always be present, but that’s not how life works out. It’s possible Hollohan deservedly won anyway (2-1 in my opinion), but it was understandably made promo.

People like 24/7, a wordsmith who has been referred to as the Hemingway of battle rapping, tend to have lines and bars so criminally slept on that it defies belief and borders on the physically frustrating. After what is generally considered to be a marked robbery in his battle against Dose, 24/7’s following three battles (Daley, Soul and Osa respectively) were all promo battles. Dose was not the first time he had been unduly given a loss after putting time and money into travelling to battles. This is another instance in which I completely understand the desire to ply your craft without taking an L.

There is a downside, though. As with most things, there are ways in which promo battles can ruin a big fight or big event atmosphere. I look at it negatively because legitimate competition is the last bastion of talent. Truly. Nowadays, you can be massively and overwhelmingly successful without being the best at what you do.

Socrates once said that fame is the perfume of heroic deeds, and that is an idea on which we are losing grasp.

You cannot fake greatness. The members of Young Money care not for our criticism. Why should they? All the money, drugs, girls and fame in the world are at their fingertips. Are they truly fooling any of the, for lack of a better term, hip hop cognoscenti? We know Drake and Wayne aren’t seeing 99% of other MCs when it comes to bar-for-bar lyricism.

You couldn’t just play for Barcelona because you were famous. You can’t just win a match with Novak Djokovic because you’ve been on a reality show. This is why promo battles are sometimes a crying shame. Two men go at it for three rounds, lyrically pummelling and verbally abusing each other with torrents of profanity, comedy and mixtures of the two, woven into lyricism. Why is it ok for neither of them to get a raised hand? Why is it ok to get roundly trounced in a battle and walk away without recorded negative results?

We all know Soul Khan absolutely and legendarily demolished Q.P., but Q.P. can stand up and legitimately claim that he didn’t lose. How is that fair in any way and on any plane of comprehension?

How can you take all these magnificently produced, monumentally crafted pre-battle videos that Avocado puts out…if there’s no winner? Is trash talk still trash talk if you know you won’t get shown up? Floyd Mayweather could never give his opponent an earful of abuse and then have the nerve to ask if his fight could be promo. What gives battlers that right, outside of extreme circumstances (Hollohan Vs Cortez et al)?

MCs such as Loe Pesci have gone on record to say that no battle should be judged. In some ways, I see his point. It holds weight if you analyse it from a certain angle. However, I come from the battling school of thought that dictates if you aren’t good enough to win, you should lose. Is that so unreasonable?

- Chad “The Hot” Hotdog.
    Originally posted by jdporter
    Clarke, you've been bodied so many times on this board, this honestly is going to be the last time I even respond to you.

Re: Promo Battles: Are They “No Win” or “No Lose” Situations?

Arsonal and Eness are the only two battle rappers that are currently undefeated
    HOETBVA

Comment

Did u just really type that out?

Wowzers

Comment

Hopes OP took this somewhere from the vast dump that is rn
        i smoke mids

Comment

DIS STEPS EASY; LIKE A ESCULATOR

Naw good read chad, i agree with most of the things u said expect for a couple things i already told u in PM.

Will most definently read again!

Comment

now i know why if you take the 'a' in chad and make it the second letter and then change the 'c' to a 'b' and insert an 'r' you get 'bard' !!

..... as in a nickname for shakespeare who was famous for writing

Comment

this trend of looking @ battling as a sport is fucking stupid

it's not a sport, it's the premier form of literary expression

you have people like Ice, Lux, T, Vurb, and Clips dropping lines so well-written they could be picked apart in college-level classes

it made sense to judge in the WRC era where freestyling and pulling the crowd were qualities looked for and the form -was- sport-like. the improv determined who pulled out more than the refinement of the craft

today's shift away from that type of performance is why the shit isn't judged

also disagree w/ no negative results from non-judged, clear crowd leanings dictate one's position in the battle rap world and that shit's fucking obvious. the only bone fox's been thrown after that battle w/ soul khan was 1-rounders w/ people from jerz where every SONS cat got bodied.

Comment

I think that battles as said in extreme circumstances should not be judged, or for an example a battle between two “heavy weights” that have completly opposite styles or even a battle where you know that it is just going to be a imense battle that none of them deserve to have a loss e.g. Pat Stay VS TheSaurus (i dont actually know if it is judged i heard it wasnt) shouldn’t be judged as it can get a biased decision or could ruin the rep of one of the battlers.
                But on all other occasions battles should be judged…

On another note...

So. The time grows ever nearer, and because I have been preparing for this battle with my brother from another mother A-Bentles for nearly three weeks now, I obviously consider myself to be a battle rapper. Which means I can give some sage advice to any aspiring battle rappers out and there and give them the benfit of my… Sorry, I can’t keep a straight face. Instead, let’s call this ‘How My Bars Are Coming Together And What I Am Learning About The Process’ and leave it at that.

1. KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS If I prevail in this battle – which I will, by the way – then it is going to be on the strength of the content of my bars, the quality of the wordplay and the jokes, rather than delivery, because whatever I am, it is not a rapper. I am not Sensa, which will probably come as some comfort to Sensa. So I realised very early on that if I was going to do my best, I needed to dispense with the idea of delivering bars at breakbeck speed. Sorry, all you Das EFX fans, but I’ll be going down the measured route – plus, that way, you get to hear all my hilarious mum gags.

2. DON’T GO BACK AND KEEP REWRITING IT I wrote my bars very quickly, tested them on a couple of people, got a favourable responses and then that was that. As a result, not only am I getting to know my bars in and out, but I also have some kind of connection with them. I’ve added very little, something like three or four couplets, to the original draft, just to tweak it into a more coherent flow. That’s it. I believe in my bars, if not the man who is going to be delivering them.

3. MAKE SURE YOU REWRITE IT But… Didn’t I just say…? Well, what I mean here is, you need to go back and do those tweaks, because if you don’t, you may miss a trick. For example – and this sounds like absurd nit-picking, but it’s true – I went back over one of my verses and realised that it would roll much better off the tongue if I changed the word “fuck” into the word “shag”. It really was that simple, and that simple, single word change is the reason why I AM GOING TO WIN.

4. DON’T TRY TO BE EVERY RAPPER IN DON’T FLOP I have news for you: if you had the gun bars of Wizard, the wise-ass punchlines of Scizzahz, the exuberance of O’Shea, the crowd banter of Micky Worthless, the intensity of Enlish, the energy levels of Pedro, the loquaciousness of Blizzard and the chutzpah of Lunar C… then you’d already be battling in Don’t Flop, and would probably have just been crowned the overall champ ay TTT10. What’s my angle? I’m a 38-year-old writer from Wolverhampton and most people at DF find me to be an amusing cunt. So that will be my angle, I reckon. As it stands, I am lucky in that the above is actually a pretty apt description of me.

5. MODERATE YOUR LIFESTYLE Guess what I am not doing for two weeks before the battle? Getting drunk. Guess what I AM doing? Going to the gym and cycling to work. Why? Well, for one thing, I suspect Alex is loaded up on “fat old man” gags so I don’t want to give him the ammunition. But the main reasons are that a) I want to feel a bit like Rocky, b) alcohol fogs the brain and exercise clears it, and above all, c) alcohol has a habit of fucking with your sleep patterns while exercise has a habit of ensuring you get a good night’s kip. And you need a good night’s kip because, if you wake up in the middle of the night, I can tell you that, before you get back to sleep, your bars will start racing through your head and you can kiss your 8 hours of rest goodbye.

6. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, SPEND YOUR EVERY WAKING MOMENT VISUALISING THE FACES OF EURGH AND CRUGER STARING AT YOU IN STUNNED INCOMPREHENSION AS TUMBLEWEED BLOWS THROUGH THE FIDDLER’S ELBOW AND A BUNCH OF SEASONED DON’T FLOP HEADS LOOK AT THEIR SHOES, ASHAMED TO BE THERE AS YET ANOTHER PUNCHLINE WEEPS AT ITS OWN PATHOS AND GOES TO THE TOILET TO FLUSH ITSELF AWAY FOREVER. Yeah, this one’s a bad idea. You are best to avoid this one altogether, to be honest.

Comment

wish i could sig the entire thing
                  Originally posted by Notsure
                  [MENTION=20846]BigZero![/MENTION] meet me in copenhagen in 2 hours I will beat the retard out of u outside Caf� Norden

Comment

just use this part imo

People like 24/7, a wordsmith who has been referred to as the Hemingway of battle rapping, tend to have lines and bars so criminally slept on that it defies belief and borders on the physically frustrating.
                    Originally posted by jdporter
                    Clarke, you've been bodied so many times on this board, this honestly is going to be the last time I even respond to you.

Comment

:cowboyhat:
                      :jimmyknees:
                      Originally posted by Notsure
                      [MENTION=20846]BigZero![/MENTION] meet me in copenhagen in 2 hours I will beat the retard out of u outside Caf� Norden

Comment

didn't read op

but I will say, calling it a PROMO battle is the problem. URL doesn't have PROMO battles and the crowd doesn't react ilke it's promo.

I bet if they called their battles "promos" the high and natural competitive nature would lessen. In KOTD, they call a battle promo after and everybody sighs because they want a winner. They make it seem like nobody lost because it was promo... and with the name... PROMO, that is true.

URL doesn't have promo matches. And you can tell by who won and lost based on what happened next.

Chilla battled Cash Eatin. Both sides said they won. The fans had their opinions. But at the end of the day, Chilla is battling J.C and Cash Eatin... is D.O.A.

There are def repercussions in the URL based on your performance and general opinion of what happened during the battle. And that isn't promo.

KOTD needs judges because the fans and league are far too kind to everybody. The crowd in URL makes every battle life or death for the rappers on stage. U choke... u are out. U stumble, they boo and heckle. Pesci stood around 5 mins while the crowd waited with baited breath. Daley walked out of the ring and probably didn't hear one, "boo." Take away judging in KOTD and you have a completely non-competitive environment of friendly emcees.

Add judging to URL and you ruin the league.

If I am off, with this post... it is because like I said.... I didn't read OP.
                        Would you like to know why I can't drive this kinda car? I'll tell you why, I'm used to *luxury* cars. Have you ever heard of a luxury car? You know what luxury means? Ever heard of Cadillac, Cadillac Eldorado? That's what I drive. I drive cars that shift themselves.

Comment

what i got out of this is that chad "the hot" hotdog is against female firefighters

plz respond to these allegations
                          Originally posted by Bnas
                          good theres no reason to kill a damn elephant
                          whats the point in killing an elephant? they dont bother noone that i no of

Comment

doep article doe i request extended pieces on sensa, your twitter relationship with thesaurus and paying for ppv's for hoes in different continents that already have bfs
                            good theres no reason to kill a damn elephant
                            whats the point in killing an elephant? they dont bother noone that i no of

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Brown View Post
                              didn't read op

but I will say, calling it a PROMO battle is the problem. URL doesn't have PROMO battles and the crowd doesn't react ilke it's promo.

I bet if they called their battles "promos" the high and natural competitive nature would lessen. In KOTD, they call a battle promo after and everybody sighs because they want a winner. They make it seem like nobody lost because it was promo... and with the name... PROMO, that is true.

URL doesn't have promo matches. And you can tell by who won and lost based on what happened next.

Chilla battled Cash Eatin. Both sides said they won. The fans had their opinions. But at the end of the day, Chilla is battling J.C and Cash Eatin... is D.O.A.

There are def repercussions in the URL based on your performance and general opinion of what happened during the battle. And that isn't promo.

KOTD needs judges because the fans and league are far too kind to everybody. The crowd in URL makes every battle life or death for the rappers on stage. U choke... u are out. U stumble, they boo and heckle. Pesci stood around 5 mins while the crowd waited with baited breath. Daley walked out of the ring and probably didn't hear one, "boo." Take away judging in KOTD and you have a completely non-competitive environment of friendly emcees.

Add judging to URL and you ruin the league.

If I am off, with this post... it is because like I said.... I didn't read OP.
                              this.

except i think it was fingaz, not daley, who didnt spit a single bar.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X