X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric B and Rakim almost was Eric B and... Freddie Foxxx

I fuckz with Bumpy Knuckles no doubt, but thank god he no-showed

skip to 6:55

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeyyHnslDY"]Bumpy Knuckles: Eric B Hooked Up with Rakim, After I Didn't Show Up to Meeting - YouTube[/ame]
    Originally posted by Chaunce;n3231571

Site gets fixed end of this week or next btw.

Re: Eric B and Rakim almost was Eric B and... Freddie Foxxx

Right trippy
    CLICK 4 THE BIGGEST BODY IN BATTLE RAP!!

Comment

CHAUNCE!
      CLICK 4 THE BIGGEST BODY IN BATTLE RAP!!

Comment

Bumpy Knuckles >
        Rakim >
        Eric B <<

From what I've always heard, Eric B contributed little to nothing musically, and was always known more as muscle. I heard he was a bodyguard for dudes like Mike Tyson and Suge Knight. He strongarmed his way into the music industry, labeled himself a DJ and then stole production credit from everyone from Rakim to Large Pro to Paul C to Marley Marl. If Bumpy linked up with Eric B back then, they probably would've beat the dogshit out of each other every day until someone eventually got shot...lol

Comment

cant imagine freddie foxx sounding as raw on an eric b beat as he did over premo production
          let the 40 cal give 'em a perm

Comment

Bump. Great shit OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldino View Post
              Bumpy Knuckles >
              Rakim >
              Eric B <<

From what I've always heard, Eric B contributed little to nothing musically, and was always known more as muscle. I heard he was a bodyguard for dudes like Mike Tyson and Suge Knight. He strongarmed his way into the music industry, labeled himself a DJ and then stole production credit from everyone from Rakim to Large Pro to Paul C to Marley Marl. If Bumpy linked up with Eric B back then, they probably would've beat the dogshit out of each other every day until someone eventually got shot...lol
              Wherever you heard that, it's true.

Eric B was about that life. From multiple sources.

There's no way those two would've been stable enough to progress in the industry, imo, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jdjohnson View Post
                Originally posted by Geraldino View Post
                Bumpy Knuckles >
                Rakim >
                Eric B <<

Wherever you heard that, it's true.

Eric B was about that life. From multiple sources.

There's no way those two would've been stable enough to progress in the industry, imo, lol.
                Facts. I wish there was a way they could re-release production credits for all those classics so everyone could get the props they deserve. Also makes you wonder if shit like that made Rakim lose interest in Hip-Hop with his long ass hiatuses.

Comment

^ Yeah, unfortunately times move on.

Classics are classics though. I still bump Rakim.

Comment

no question

Comment

@ re release production credits -it doesn't really matter imo tbh
                      for example ppl saying a guy named cedgee made all the beats off bdp's 1st album but everyone just knows/remembers scott la rock (all the more so tht he died)

back then it wasnt like now wher ppl buy beats
                      a rapper and a dj were "a group" - like u assumed they were lifelong friends
                      ll cool j had cut creator and i think he got a second guy scratching (bobcat?) later but cut creator was still known as the group dj who the rapper always bragged abt in his rhymes
                      all the way til when pete rock was with cl smooth even if pete rock was better dj than his rapper

eric b and rakim always had hood stars on the backs of their albums
                      heard / know shit as well

anyway - rakim would not have been legendary famous without eric b imho
                      they had group chemistry

Comment

shout out for being up on shit !
                        good thread

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Blanco View Post
                          @ re release production credits -it doesn't really matter imo tbh
                          for example ppl saying a guy named cedgee made all the beats off bdp's 1st album but everyone just knows/remembers scott la rock (all the more so tht he died)

back then it wasnt like now wher ppl buy beats
                          a rapper and a dj were "a group" - like u assumed they were lifelong friends
                          ll cool j had cut creator and i think he got a second guy scratching (bobcat?) later but cut creator was still known as the group dj who the rapper always bragged abt in his rhymes
                          all the way til when pete rock was with cl smooth even if pete rock was better dj than his rapper

eric b and rakim always had hood stars on the backs of their albums
                          heard / know shit as well

anyway - rakim would not have been legendary famous without eric b imho
                          they had group chemistry

I respect what you're saying and I definitely feel you as far as old school duos go, but most of the time they put in a relatively equal amount of work so taking specific credit wasn't necessary. Sometimes the rapper in the duo would handle some of the production, or the DJ or producer would have input for the rapper on how they can say something differently or better, and neither of them needed that little bit of credit because they're a team at the end of the day.

But when someone outside of the duo produces a beat and doesn't get credit for it, that's where I have a problem with it. A producer's overall legacy is based on their overall production credits. That's all they have. So when they're not credited for their work, especially if they've produced entire classic albums and no one knows it was them, their legacy takes a serious hit.

Dr. Dre and RZA are notorious for putting their names on other people's production. I can't really say shit about it because it's an understanding they have with the people in their camp, whether it's Daz Dillinger or 4th Disciple. I feel like they oversaw what they were doing and collaborated on it to some degree. Also, Dre and RZA are fully capable of creating a classic beat from scratch, and they have plenty of them under their belts, so they deserve to be considered two of the all-time greats, but I still think Daz or 4th or whoever should at least get co-production credit for all of those beats.

With Eric B, I don't think he produced much of anything on any of those classic albums and he sure as hell didn't write Rakim's rhymes even though the duo is credited for producing and writing the entire albums. I actually heard Rakim produced more beats than Eric B, and the rest of the beats were handled by producers not named Eric B.

So when I see people say Eric B is one of the greatest producers of all time because they assume he produced all the beats, it's kinda fucked up. Truth be told, Rakim is probably a better producer than Eric B, but most people don't even know he produced. I just like to give credit where it's due so that's why I'd love to know exactly who produced which beats. If I found out Paul C or Large Pro handled a majority of it, I think they deserve that recognition, and with that credit, their legendary status might rise to the levels of an all-time great.

Comment

Ashamed to say that I did not know some of the stuff you are saying

Not saying this proves that Dre is fair by any means, but I did see this a while back and it might interest you

http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2016-0...sic-publishing

Comment

Originally posted by jdjohnson View Post
                              Ashamed to say that I did not know some of the stuff you are saying

Not saying this proves that Dre is fair by any means, but I did see this a while back and it might interest you

http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2016-0...sic-publishing

Damn, them royalties add up!

Yeah, I'm not tryin to shit on Dre at all. My point with him and RZA is that they do put work in and they have an understanding with the people in their camps. I know Dre gave plenty of ghostwriting credit on his albums, but some of the ghost-production credit is a little shaky, but that's on him and the people he works with. Plus, he has a hand in the production, collaborates or oversees it even if someone in his camp is doing a majority of the work. At the same time, a nigga like Daz probably deserves much more credit than he gets.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X