@jerzcity Can you do a breakdown/analysis of Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing @jerzcity Can you do a breakdown/analysis of Pernell Whitaker?

[MENTION=11524]jerzcity[/MENTION]

basically, i heard max kellerman say he is one of the best pound for pound fighters of all time and hella underrated among casual fans/etc.

what do you think of him? his technique? what stands out about him in terms of his technique?

any fights of his on youtube / footage of his you could share ?
    best fights of his? etc?

anyone else know anything about him?

Re: @jerzcity Can you do a breakdown/analysis of Pernell Whitaker?

[MENTION=33650]thatzNash[/MENTION]

Hate to say, im not too familiar with Sweet Pea's history in the sport. Ive only seen his match vs De La Hoya & his highlight vids on youtube.

If you watch those, youll see his style was make em miss, make em pay. He had great defense, his style was helped alot cause he had top notch footwork, balance, & reflexes.

Hes so revered because he went after top challenges. He was consensus pound for pound best & still decided to fight Chavez Sr, who was destroying guys left & right and had 87-0 record. Ive always read Sweet Pea deserved the W but got a draw instead.

Same with his fight vs De La Hoya, they say he got robbed(its been so many yrs i forgot who i thought won). In Hoya's defense, 147 was not his best weight class & he mighta won if it was held at 140.

Hes also got Roger Mayweather & Buddy McGirt on his resume. Im sure some of the other names hes defeated were good at the time, but i dont really recognize them. Ive been following since like 05 so it was before my time.

Hes also an olympic gold medal winner. Some controversy regarding his style: he would bend extremely low at times, where his body would be below his opponents belt line. Thats an infraction, altho i dont know if he was warned or ever deducted points in a fight cause of it.

So ya, Kellerman is right, Sweet Pea is that dude.
    Check the puzzle, does it fit
    I am alpha & omega
    And on the seventh day i rise
    Past the pangs of my resistance

Comment

Highlights:

Vs De La Hoya:

Vs Chavez Sr, we both gotta watch this
      Check the puzzle, does it fit
      I am alpha & omega
      And on the seventh day i rise
      Past the pangs of my resistance

Comment

i can break him down for u
        Whitaker was one of the greatest defensive fighters ever
        he was like Mayweather,exept had less ko's.wasnt a huge puncher unless he had to be
        but he fought a draw wit Julio Cesar Chavez that Whitaker clearly won by a big margin,he was p4p king in the 90's alongside Roy Jones Jr
        he was the Lightweight Champ, Jr. Welter weight champ, he won a totle at 154 and was Welterweight king until he lost to Delahoya by a close margin
        lets say u couldnt hit this mf lmao he was impossible to hit damn near
        and Zab Judahs style was influenced heavily by sweat pea [MENTION=33650]thatzNash[/MENTION]

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X