Anybody else feel like the Ufc is turning into what boxing has become?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else feel like the Ufc is turning into what boxing has become?

I see it as the ufc has become what mayweather boxing promotions has become ( not a diss to mayweather ) they are a monopoly and they can at anytime say who fights who and with every fighter under contract every fighter has to keep they're lips sealed. The ufc banked on mcgregor beating Diaz and that didn't happen with Diaz taking the fight on short notice and that didn't happen not only did the Diaz fight only happen because the ufc knew that if mcgregor fought dos anjos he would have been murdered and there goes they're cash cow. Now they are saying they pulled mcgregor only because he didn't do press which is a excuse for the fight not to happen cuz they know nate having a full camp will submit Conner and make him tap much faster and mcgregor has no chance of beating Diaz. Now they're trying to force Diaz to fight at ufc 200 hoping he loses so the rematch doesn't happen but Diaz knows this that's why he said if he ain't fighting mcgregor he's going on vacation. He knows what the ufc is trying to do so he's playing his hand. Same goes for bones jones ufc knew he would be rusty so they had him fight a lesser opponent before dc cuz they already lost rousey and they can't afford to lose mcgregor or bones jones they're three biggest draws. Long rant I apologize but this is what I see

Re: Anybody else feel like the Ufc is turning into what boxing has become?

Youre looking past the fact UFC has been consistent on press obligations no matter whos fighting.

Its something the Diaz brothers have both complained about in the past along with other fighters, its also one of the reasons why Ronda is taking an extended break from the sport.

Conner aint the first to call their bluff, Nick Diaz did the same thing and was pulled from his fight also.

Conner is the one that wanted the rematch, he thinks with the extended training that he can build the strength to actually finish Diaz but its gonna take some time and he doesnt wanna waste time flying across the planet to interview with some random ass morning show with 3k listeners/viewers on a good day just to fulfill press obligations. Conner was landing bombs on Diaz that would floor most humans but since both Diaz brothers have great chins and train with world class boxers those shots were just another day at the office for him.

And to your other point, yea the Diaz camp is smart, theres no other fight that brings Nate the amount of acclaim and money that this Conner rematch would and him going out win or loss and fighting someone else doesnt help him. With a win over Conner with legitimate preparation that gives Nate the leverage for atleast a #1 contender match if not a title shot versus Lawler.

But to your main point, nah this aint big ol conspiracy..

Comment

Thanks you for giving me another perspective on it. I just feel like the ufc has had a tough past year losing they're cash cows and I just hope it doesn't turn into boxing where the matches the should happen don't happen. Good point tho on Diaz playing his hand cuz he knows he's not going to beat dos anjos or fight lawler isn't going to give him that payday or help his brand as much as beating mcgregor. Beating him again would pretty much give him more star power then champions.

Comment

Also yea I understand the Diaz brothers complain about press but when nicc didn't show if I remember correctly it was close to fight time I think within a week or so of the fight but mcgregor is still three months away from the fight. Doing press right now shouldn't interfere that much imo

Comment

Yea i believe Nick was pulled about 3 or so weeks before the GSP fight, was a long time ago tho so dont quote me on that.

And contracts are contracts, they signed em they have to abide by them or theyre gonna being paying back some money in one way or another.

Im not sure on the exact language or requirements Conner is supposed to live up to but the UFC stand point is this -Were investing 10million this weekend to shoot commercials and do a press conference you need to be here for it -. Afterwards i imagine Conner can go back to Iceland or whereever hes been training and dig back in it.

Conner def is the asshole for this they asked him to do this one thing (as far as we know) and he said no, its not like they told him he had to stay here for a week and do a media tour (as far as we know) he shouldve just done it, he wanted to test the amount of pull he had and he found out no matter how big one fighter is he still aint bigger than the platform that pays him.

Comment

conor a god but its completely understandable dana took him off the card
            Originally posted by Notsure
            [MENTION=20846]BigZero![/MENTION] meet me in copenhagen in 2 hours I will beat the retard out of u outside Caf� Norden

Comment

Conors a bitch

The UFC fucking up big time with that debacle
              And it does remind me of bullshit with boxing
              Where they constantly pushing that 1 guy
              Just that 1 guy

Comment

conor got caught riding doom buggies around iceland lolololol must be movement training

I think a 2nd major promotion would benefit the UFC, such as Pride or Strikeforce did, people got hyped up due to the idea of "promotion vs promotion" match ups.

I do agree about the idea of marketing "1 guy" could be bad, like how many people say "Mayweather vs somebody" but both parties have to play ball. Conor was very outspoken and showed desire to market himself, and the ufc gave him a platform to do so. Many fighters in the UFC are generally come off as closed off. Jon Jones didnt have to be witty like Mcgregor to be a household name, just his actions inside the cage/outside the cage made him famous. I believe sports now is all about entertainment, you cant just do the sport well to be a draw

Just to throw it out there but idunno how to work this but I would like to see an "All Star" style of event with the smaller promotions, where they take their best to vs the other best. I see that as a way to compete with the UFC.

Comment

The ufc always only has a couple of fighters that sell crazy ppv's. then they leave and eventually another fighter will come. From the outside to boxing fans it will look like losing mcgregor and rousey would cripple the ufc and hurt them pretty bad, but in reality itll be the same as when liddell, tito, gsp, silva, lesnar, etc left... there will always be another. The ufc only chooses to really promote a fighter when they have something to gain or an ulterior motive. Like when mcgregor came into the ufc he was known by irish mma fans and the ufc was surprised by the number of irish fans that were tuning in and coming to watch him. So they then started giving him a crazy promotional push because they saw ireland as the next brazil/canada in terms of mma fanbase. Which then caused him to be widely popular everywhere because he was getting promotion that no other fighters were getting besides rousey, whose reason for getting crazy promotion should be obvious.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X