ESPN Coaches Poll: QB Rankings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN Coaches Poll: QB Rankings!

Are these rankings the QB themselves, or the QB with their current supporting cast? Because I think both would be entirely different lists.

Comment

Diego Sanchez #1

Edit: wrong thread

Comment

top 3!

Flacco just cracked the top 10
        rip hoey & ILLA!

Comment

Flacco only 1 spot ahead of Matty Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey Honda View Post
            Are these rankings the QB themselves, or the QB with their current supporting cast? Because I think both would be entirely different lists.
            Here's the lead in to the article, doesn't really say. They left it pretty vague but the tier definitions make it seem like pure talent

Welcome to our second annual "Quarterback Tiers" project, with a voting panel of 35 league insiders (up from 26 last year). The process was straightforward: The coaches and evaluators I polled placed each of the 32 projected starters into one of five tiers, with Tier 1 reserved for the very best and Tier 5 reserved for the very worst.

While it's far from rigid, our NFL front office and coach voters typically categorized the tiers as follows:

• Tier 1 quarterbacks can carry their teams week after week and contend for championships without as much help.
            • Tier 2 QBs are less consistent and need more help, but good enough to figure prominently into a championship equation.
            • Tier 3 are quarterbacks who are good enough to start but need lots of support, making it tougher to contend at the highest level.
            • Tier 4 is typically reserved for unproven starters or those who might not be expected to last in the lineup all season. Voters used the fifth tier sparingly.

We gave the insiders anonymity so they could speak candidly. They did not disappoint. The 35th and final insider, a longtime defensive coordinator, could not believe it when I told him five of the previous 34 had left Andrew Luck outside the top tier on their ballots. "Those five guys didn't play against him. He is a 1, I am telling you. He is f------ good. Nobody blocks anybody up front, and he is still good."

In the end, we averaged the tier rankings for each quarterback to produce a 1-32 ranking across four tiers (no starting QBs received enough Tier 5 votes to fall into the fifth tier). There was movement in the pecking order from our piece last year. Peyton Manning and Drew Brees slipped. Luck and Ben Roethlisberger surged. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady held firm and were the only unanimous Tier 1 players. And perhaps surprisingly, Derek Carr holds an early lead on Teddy Bridgewater among the 2014 draftees.

There's a lot to digest, so we won't delay any longer. First, though, a big thank you to our panel: eight personnel directors, six general managers, four head coaches, five offensive coordinators, five defensive coordinators, three salary-cap managers, one ex-GM, two ex-head coaches, and one offensive assistant coach.

Comment

flaccos always ranked low on these things why would any ravens fan care lol he brought us a championship. if u watch football for stats then good for u all i care about is watching my team win so this nerds opinion doesnt bother me at all

Comment

first take had a good segment about this today n skip was finally on point for once aside from his flacco disrespect

luck doesnt belong on the same list as champions baby

Comment

Luck getting his first chip this year, I called it with in 3 years 3 years ago

Comment

Texans have best d nh

Comment

Ravens will never win again joey, I said this after their fluke year, their d will never have heart again and flaccid too soft sucks bro

Comment

who cares they already won

Comment

Comment

good luck to ur texans tho

Comment

I only watch real futbol

Comment