Table of Contents
- 1 1. Experience Ancient Tradition – Attend the Ceremony of the Keys
- 2 2. Make a Night-time Visit to a Museum
- 3 3. See London at Night By Bus
- 4 4. Things to Do in London at Night Include Gazing Upwards
- 5 5. Have a Drink with a Spectacular View
- 6 6. Meander Around Chinatown to Soak Up the Ambience
- 7 7. Get the Best View in Europe at The Shard
- 8 8. Discover the Mystery of Jack the Ripper
- 9 9. Ride High in the Sky with a Trip on the London Eye
- 10 10. Foodies are Catered for Too
- 11 11. Act the Part in the West End
- 12 12. Dance Your Socks Off at a Top Club
- 13 Signing off …
London is a culturally-rich city and its attraction is timeless. By day, it combines the pomp and circumstance and heritage with its status as one of the world’s most important business cities.
By night, however, it becomes a different animal. The atmosphere is electric and fascinating. Every year, 30+ million visitors enjoy the top things to do in London at night. Read on to learn just a few of them.
1. Experience Ancient Tradition – Attend the Ceremony of the Keys
One of the fun free things to do in London at night is to see the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. It’s well worth the 15 minutes of your time to see the ritual that has been happening for centuries. Booking is essential.
2. Make a Night-time Visit to a Museum
London’s museums are world class and can be busy during the daytime. See the best of the exhibits of the Natural History Museum or the Victoria and Albert Museum without the crowds.
3. See London at Night By Bus
The open-top bus tours are a fun way to see the major London landmarks, especially with the hop-on/hop-off system but take a night-time bus tour and see the city in its illuminated glory.
4. Things to Do in London at Night Include Gazing Upwards
It’s only open to the public on Fridays and Saturdays until 10:00 pm, but the six-inch telescope of Hampstead Observatory offers a splendid view of the night sky and from its elevated position on the Heath, the city.
5. Have a Drink with a Spectacular View
London has a fabulous selection of exclusive bars and among the most interesting are those in the Sky Garden. Three floors of a huge glass dome are beautifully landscaped and tower above the city to provide 360-degree views of some of the most familiar sights in the world.
6. Meander Around Chinatown to Soak Up the Ambience
Some of the most vibrant scenes of London nightlife are in Chinatown, centered around Gerrard Street. The hustle and bustle of the late-opening shops have a unique atmosphere, and the smells will entice you into one of the many excellent restaurants.
7. Get the Best View in Europe at The Shard
The Shard, opened in 2013, is the tallest building in Western Europe. Standing 1061 feet tall, it offers the most incredible views which on a clear day extends to 40 miles. The interactive tour is a must for lovers of history.
8. Discover the Mystery of Jack the Ripper
On a guided walk through the eerie streets of Whitechapel, follow the footsteps of notorious Jack the Ripper and his victims. The identity of the murderer has intrigued us for more than 130 years. If gruesome murders are not your thing, try a ghost walk instead.
9. Ride High in the Sky with a Trip on the London Eye
Some of the best things to do in London at night are the experiences that offer magnificent views of one of the world’s most beautiful cities. Since it opened to celebrate the Millennium, a ride on the London Eye has become one of the British capital’s iconic attractions.
10. Foodies are Catered for Too
Street food culture has embedded itself in the London psyche for a while now and as well as there being night markets for a spot of shopping, the fast food stalls offer some heavenly delights.
11. Act the Part in the West End
London’s Theater District offers the most amazing selection of productions to suit every taste. From tiny tucked away playhouses to the grandest antique theaters. Choose to see the latest award-winning musical or a Hollywood star treading the boards.
12. Dance Your Socks Off at a Top Club
The London club scene is supremely hot with some of the best clubs in the world. Dance the night away at the likes of Fabric, the Ministry of Sound, Cargo, and Electric Brixton.
Signing off …
This is just a few of the top things to do in London at night. Whether you want to sit with a coffee to people watch, see the city from a new perspective, or enjoy some world-class entertainment London at night has it all.
Here at OTBVA, we bring you all the best news and features. Browse our pages for the latest. What will catch your eye?