At least 50 million Americans suffer from autoimmune diseases each year. Do you have an autoimmune disease? If not, there’s a good chance you know someone who does.
Whether autoimmune disease affects you directly or affects someone else in your life, it’s important to know that there are a lot of different treatment options available, including many natural remedies.
Read on to learn more about natural treatment for autoimmune disease.
You’ll also gain insight into why it’s a good idea to go the natural route as you begin healing and work on putting your disease into remission.
What is Autoimmune Disease?
Autoimmune diseases are illnesses that involve the immune system attacking the body.
The immune system, in a healthy individual, protects the body from germs and foreign invaders.
Sometimes, though, the immune system can become overactive and mistakes healthy cells of the body for foreign invaders. As a result, it begins attacking these healthy tissues.
Autoimmune diseases may target just one organ of the body, or they may affect the body as a whole.
What Causes Autoimmune Disease?
Doctors aren’t fully sure why some people suffer from autoimmune diseases and others don’t. They have found, though, that certain groups of people are more likely to be affected than others.
The following individuals face a greater risk of experiencing an autoimmune disease:
- Women — they suffer from autoimmune disease more than twice as often as men
- Those who belong to certain ethnic groups — e.g., more African-American and Hispanic individuals suffer from lupus than Caucasians
- Those who have a family history of autoimmunity — this is especially common with diseases like lupus and multiple sclerosis
- Those who face a lot of exposure to environmental toxins and chemicals
- Those who heat an inflammatory, “Western” diet
Some researchers also argue that today’s highly sanitized world has decreased the number of germs children face on a regular basis. This has caused their immune systems to become overreactive. As a result, they don’t know how to recognize foreign invaders and attack healthy cells instead.
Common Autoimmune Diseases
There are lots of different autoimmune diseases from which one may suffer. The following are some of the most common autoimmune diseases:
- Type 1 Diabetes: This disease causes the immune system to attack the pancreas and affects the production of insulin
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: With this disease, the immune system attacks the joint tissues
- Multiple Sclerosis: This disease is characterized by degeneration of the myelin sheath that protects the nerve cells
- Lupus: Lupus is a whole body illness that affects the joints, kidneys, brain, and even the heart
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease: This term refers to a variety of autoimmune conditions that affect the digestive tract
- Graves’ Disease: This disease affects the thyroid and causes it to produce too much of its own hormones
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: This disease affects the thyroid in the opposite way and slows down its hormone production
- Celiac Disease: Celiac Disease affects the digestive tract and causes the body to attack when gluten, a protein found in grains like wheat and rye, is present
These are just some of the many autoimmune diseases that affect Americans on a daily basis.
Benefits of Natural Treatment for Autoimmune Disease
Clearly, there are many different autoimmune diseases out there. Luckily, there are also a lot of different treatment options.
Some traditional prescription drug treatments for autoimmune diseases, while effective, can be very hard on the body and produce many unpleasant side effects.
Natural treatments are gentler and do not produce many — if any — serious side effects. They still do a great job, in many cases, of expediting the healing process.
Natural remedies also help you get to the root of the issue.
They help you to figure out what triggered your body’s extreme inflammation and overactive immune response so you can avoid those triggers in the future or work on becoming more resilient to them.
Natural Treatment Options
The following are some of the most well-known and effective natural autoimmune disease treatment options:
Healing the Gut
Even if your autoimmune disease is not characterized by digestive distress, you still ought to make it a priority to improve your gut health. Most of your immune system is found in your gut, so bacterial imbalances or damage to the gut lining can trigger a variety of autoimmune conditions.
Improving Your Diet
One of the best ways to heal the gut is to work on improving your diet. Remember, a traditional western diet is highly inflammatory and can often trigger autoimmune diseases.
When cleaning up your diet, start by removing highly inflammatory foods. This includes the following:
- Artificial flavors, sweeteners, and colors
Focus on adding in nutrient-dense foods like leafy greens, grass-fed beef, and pasture-raised chicken. Use anti-inflammatory spices like turmeric and ginger, too.
Make an effort to avoid environmental stressors, too. This will help to expedite the gut healing process and calm down an overactive immune system.
Environmental toxins are found in lots of products that we use every day. This includes perfume, makeup, household cleaners. Even the water that comes from your tap can cause harm.
Use the Right Supplements
There are many supplements that can help to reduce inflammation and help to heal your gut.
CBD (cannabidiol) oil and other CBD-infused products do a great job of minimizing inflammation — you can learn more about them from this blog.
Many people also benefit from supplementing with collagen, glutathione, and probiotics, and L-glutamine.
Start Improving Your Health Today
As you can see, there are a lot of different methods of natural treatment for autoimmune disease.
These natural remedies are a great option for anyone who is hesitant about relying on prescription medication to heal their disease and manage their symptoms.
They can also be paired with traditional remedies to minimize side effects and maximize healing.
Of all these tools for managing your health, CBD oil is one of the most beneficial.
Do you want to learn more about CBD and how you can use it to address autoimmunity effectively? If so, check out this article on its health benefits today.