Over 90% of Americans believe in God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Over 90% of Americans believe in God

qualia soup? i've seen him before, why do you consider him to be an idiot or something? he basically just makes logic videos from what i remember

edit: was on wiki looking at qualia. what are you asking me about regarding this?

Comment

okay, so "science defines everything [about existence]"

how's that?

what about the existence of qualia? what does science have to say about that?

i wasn't really intent on being condescending at all, i'm just replying to what you're saying about the burden of proof. name one respectable individual in either religion, philosophy or "science" that still concerns themselves with a scientific proof of god's existence. it's silly and basic. i think you're being intellectually dishonest because by saying things like that, because no one worth their salt actually argues that god exists in a scientific way.

so it's like, okay, why are you even saying things like "science is the be all end all determiner of what is true and what exists"? it's literally elementary to say that in this context because no one outside the bible belt actually goes around thinking that god is something you can even define, test, and observe "objectively."

btw you're perceiving some undue hostility from me right now... i said "i get the feeling" i didn't straw man you at all. also i took direct specific quotes from you in my last 2 posts, i didn't just blanket-quote. calm down and read carefully
      mean girls.mp3

maybe columbo or adrian monk knows

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Don Status View Post
        either way, whether or not it is testable, the existence or non existence X is still a scientific matter
        also i'm asking you about qualia because i'm setting X to qualia in this case.

how would you scientifically test for qualia?
        mean girls.mp3

Comment

Originally posted by larry word View Post
          okay, so "science defines everything [about existence]"

how's that?

what about the existence of qualia? what does science have to say about that?

i wasn't really intent on being condescending at all, i'm just replying to what you're saying about the burden of proof. name one respectable individual in either religion, philosophy or "science" that still concerns themselves with a scientific proof of god's existence. it's silly and basic. i think you're being intellectually dishonest because by saying things like that, because no one worth their salt actually argues that god exists in a scientific way.

so it's like, okay, why are you even saying things like "science is the be all end all determiner of what is true and what exists"? it's literally elementary to say that in this context because no one outside the bible belt actually goes around thinking that god is something you can even define, test, and observe "objectively."

btw you're perceiving some undue hostility from me right now... i said "i get the feeling" i didn't straw man you at all. also i took direct specific quotes from you in my last 2 posts, i didn't just blanket-quote. calm down and read carefully
          cool as a cuke man i meant use my quotes with relevance to what you're saying to me because the ones you quoted weren't really what you were addressing when you made those assumptions ^. ive read all of what you said

No i still disagree with how you summarized me saying "science defines everything about existence"...dude we should just both realize this is like all semantics with this particular point. By that quote it sounds like you're implying that i think science can or will ever be able to answer every question (i dont think it can or will be able to), or that every single type of truth is a scientific truth, which is also not my position. I don't think its possible you could be disagreeing with what im saying, which is that...if god is somehow proven real and that is a fact...i would consider this to be a scientific fact bc that god (did whatever) started the universe, or intervenes in daily life or whatever the claim is. The existence or absence of unicorns, or snakes, or dragons, or rabbits or gods is a scientific matter because it has been involved in a causal relationship with the natural world.

I guess if you disagree I guess? its a matter of opinion of what constitutes as facts with respect to claims made about the natural/supernatural with no evidence. ..which, if true, would be an important part of our universe's history (its not what i believe obviously)

Comment

craig fuck you
            Originally posted by Qjonny
            Hahah I'm talkin some real shit. Not that corny yur a faggot nonsense

Comment

im going to look more at this qualia shit and ill get back to you...but either way, i never once said everything is testable. ive honestly been correcting what you think of my worldview and other stances are here lol. its better to ask me questions than to summarize my words and add extra baggage to them that you incorrectly think im implying. i feel like you want me to say i think science is my religion or something, which is honestly a really played out argument to say to a non religious person haha. science is not my "end all" as you also said or my religion, its just useful as hell for determining a great number of facts and explanations about the universe with varying degrees of certainty

just looked at it. by saying the existence or non existence of X (qualia in this case) is a scientific matter, by that i meant its a subject of scientific interest (the existence of something with respect to its causal relationships with the natural world/universe), irrespective of whether or not science can explain/test it.

While i don't think everything of scientific interest needs to be testable/explainable by science, we can still try to build or understanding of the supposed phenomenon. maybe qualia can be in some ways? Like which parts of the brain respond when someone is tasting good wine or seeing a sunset? Not something that science has the ability to test with observational certainty; the same can be said about other emergent brain properties like consciousness

Comment

okay so forget all the blanket "science should explain everything" accusations/defenses

let's just return to this:

I'm just saying if they *Are going to seriously question the existence of god, the most effective way to go about doing so would be regarding it as the scientific matter that it is.
                why is this, in your opinion? can you elaborate?

also re: qualia, which we can leave as a sidebar for now, i'd encourage you to briefly read this (and the comments): http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2009...aradox-of.html which goes a bit more into why science is inherently coming at the problem (nh) from the wrong angle, even if science can explain things like color via wavelengths
                mean girls.mp3

Comment

Just addressed what you just asked me man, you readin? maybe you didn't see it bc i didn't quote you in that. why do you still take issue with me saying that existence or not existence is something of scientific interest? (i explained here what i meant by that; if something exists it is of scientific interest as it has a casual relationship with something in the universe/natural world)
                  im going to look more at this qualia shit and ill get back to you...but either way, i never once said everything is testable. ive honestly been correcting what you think of my worldview and other stances are here lol. its better to ask me questions than to summarize my words and add extra baggage to them that you incorrectly think im implying. i feel like you want me to say i think science is my religion or something, which is honestly a really played out argument to say to a non religious person haha. science is not my "end all" as you also said or my religion, its just useful as hell for determining a great number of facts and explanations about the universe with varying degrees of certainty

just looked at it. by saying the existence or non existence of X
                  (qualia) is a scientific matter, by that i meant its a subject of scientific interest (the existence of something with respect to its causal relationships with the natural world/universe), irrespective of whether or not science can explain/test it. (*this is the law of identity, basically)

While i don't think everything of scientific interest needs to be testable/explainable by science, we can still try to build or understanding of the supposed phenomenon. maybe qualia can be in some ways? Like which parts of the brain respond when someone is tasting good wine or seeing a sunset? Not something that science has the ability to test with observational certainty; the same can be said about other emergent brain properties like consciousness

Comment

Originally posted by vash View Post
                    true Horus was born from a virgin too
                    Watching documentaries and acting like you know shit>>
                    negged for never contributing anything of interest to a conversation i been takin notes on you my dumb faggot
                    You have been taking notes on me? Lmao
                    Team Vash

Comment

just somethin light imo

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...