From the days of the slave choppers, to the new age of prophets
    As heavy as hip-hop is I'm always ready to drop it
    From the mind which is one of Allah's best designs
    And mines'll stand the test of time, when I rhyme

Re: Is Rakim The Most Technically Sound Mc Ever

[MENTION=15763]Justice[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=14722]blackonboth[/MENTION]
    Originally posted by Chaunce;n3231571

Site gets fixed end of this week or next btw.

Comment

I saw the thread...just dont understand the ?.

What does OP mean technically??

Obv hes smart so his content is good + lyrical + has a great style/flow...but honestly Rakim couldn't really adapt to change very well.

He basically had his monotone way of rhyming and thats what he did no matter if the beat was fast or slow so that's a flaw 'technically' even though it wasnt a necessary quality in the 80's.

His biggest hit ever was a feature (truth hurts)...if you include the ability to reach a mainstream/different audiences on the checklist.

So prob no...but I think OP not really serious.

I will say this.....for all the Microphone Fiends/Follow the Leaders...the overall greatest album Eric B + Rakim ever put out was Let The Rhythm Hit Em.

And its not even close IMO.

Comment

No man, you had to be there
        Was the Paid In Full album
        but he really first hit with that “Eric B is President” single ( original not the remix)

Whole city went crazy
        It was like an answer record to Janet Jackson’s “What Have You Done For Me Lately”
        Back then hip-hop and R&B were fighting eachother because rap was still struggling to get play on the radio
        The same way rock the bells by LL Cool J said “you hated Michael and Prince all the way ever since”

You had to be there. Rakim’s first album changed music. He was the first guy rhyming in between the rhymes on the off beats
        I think it came from him being a saxophone player

Anyway, first album definitely most impactful and best in my opinion but then again probably you had to be there

Comment

Originally posted by blackonboth View Post
          I saw the thread...just dont understand the ?.

What does OP mean technically??

Obv hes smart so his content is good + lyrical + has a great style/flow...but honestly Rakim couldn't really adapt to change very well.

He basically had his monotone way of rhyming and thats what he did no matter if the beat was fast or slow so that's a flaw 'technically' even though it wasnt a necessary quality in the 80's.

His biggest hit ever was a feature (truth hurts)...if you include the ability to reach a mainstream/different audiences on the checklist.

So prob no...but I think OP not really serious.

I will say this.....for all the Microphone Fiends/Follow the Leaders...the overall greatest album Eric B + Rakim ever put out was Let The Rhythm Hit Em.

And its not even close IMO.

i mean like with complex multisyllabic rhyme patterns metaphors wordplay punchlines music theory etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Blanco View Post
            No man, you had to be there
            Was the Paid In Full album
            but he really first hit with that “Eric B is President” single ( original not the remix)

Whole city went crazy
            It was like an answer record to Janet Jackson’s “What Have You Done For Me Lately”
            Back then hip-hop and R&B were fighting eachother because rap was still struggling to get play on the radio
            The same way rock the bells by LL Cool J said “you hated Michael and Prince all the way ever since”

You had to be there. Rakim’s first album changed music. He was the first guy rhyming in between the rhymes on the off beats
            I think it came from him being a saxophone player

Anyway, first album definitely most impactful and best in my opinion but then again probably you had to be there
            Im almost 40 playboy...

I was there.

Unless you talking NY specifically.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTBhn6NUOFE"]Rakim - Waiting For The World To End [DJ Premier - Original Version] - YouTube[/ame]
              Originally posted by Clarke Reloaded
              Originally posted by ekeanon
              I'm glad I got to witness your life
              Glad you got to be a part of the legacy :kanyehappy::colbertsalute:
              Originally posted by Clarke Reloaded
              White people are like cancer. But its funny how white people die from cancer... is that ironic or a sign from God? :kid:

Comment

I wouldn't say he's the MOST technically sound, however i think he is the standard in a way as to what people compare others to, he's the measuring tool you usually put others againt. 88-92 (i.e. until Live at the bbq) he was the most technical/lyrical rapper imo. He's without a doubt one of most important figures in hiphop, his impact/influence is near boundless since it's so vast and far reaching.

Ultimately it largely depends on your own parameters of what exactly "technical" means/encompasses to you.

I'mma be honest I was never big on Kool G, no doubt others will herald him over Rakim and many others. Always Rakim over Kane & Kool G for me. I got Rakim as #4 of the best emcee list.
                I like modding because it gives me the illusion I have control.

Comment

Kool Keith was better when rakim was "the best".
                  Better delivery, voice, multis, charisma, albums, etc.

In 1988 keif was goat imo.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KSRhQidyms"]Ultramagnetic MCs - Ease Back - YouTube[/ame]

Kool g rap was better at everything too.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqMR8CXQSh4"]Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Road To The Riches - YouTube[/ame]

G rap one of the only old rappers to improve over time.
                  His newest shit still dope to me.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0yo9K8vt6g"]Wise Guys - Kool G Rap feat Lil Fame & Freeway - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Damn....Kool Keith over Rakim Allah???

Repped for having balls 2 say that and mean it...

I didnt get into Ultramag til 93-94 tbh but Keith got love from me just for having
                    a unique voice an offbeat flow.

They never understood.....many people were so slow!!

Comment

Rakim was never a punchline rapper... Thought i was a donut, she tried to glaze me type shit is the extent of him ever doing them.

Imo the conversation should be who are the best/most technical emcees (ex 10-12 of them) and stack'em against Rakim to see where and in what order he/others falls.

Off top i'd name

Pun

MF DOOM

AZ

Lupe

Nas (thats the thing with Nas, the Illmatic era - and It Was Written Nas def earns a spot and is interchangeable between the two on preference ... They are NOT the same emcee/rapper)

Kool G (honorary mention based on the conversation)

Pusha T (yeah he deserves to be in it too)

Canibus

Em ( i don't like him but he's in the convo)

Elzhi

Inspecta Deck/Ghostface/Gza

Chino XL (if Em & Canibus is included than he should too for the sake of discussion)

Guru

Kool Moe Dee(for his time he was the man)

R A The Rugged Man

Biggie

I agree about Kool Keith to a extent as a inclusion(He ain't touching Rakim tho).

But if you're gonna include Keith then you gotta include Percee P & Masta Ace. Immortal Technique really belongs in the convo too, perhaps even Joe Budden, but he would fall in the lower category tho, beneath at least half the list . CL Smooth is a underrated lyricist, doesn't really get acknowledge on his own for his pen. Not to mention that buttery smooth flow & voice.

Comment

People sleep on how nice Cool J was back then.

And if we being honest of that time an era Rakim was the most respected lyrically but Kane was the best and most versatile.

Lets not forget he wrote a gang of hits/classics for himself and half of the damn Juice Crew , was really respected in these streets , had knowledge of self just like Ra and stuck his finger in fine ass late 80's Madonna's pussy.

Comment

Thats true about Kane ghosting a bunch of peoples raps way back when... I like Kane more than Kool G. But iah i don't think neither have a CLASSIC album (gonna get criticized for that statement but fuck it idgaf). For example Strictly Business, Critical Breakdown and Paul's Boutique are classic and shit's all over any album they themselves made.

I actually think Kane got better penwise after the 80's (many people say his prime lyrically was back then). Meanwhile Kool G just stayed the same, he didn't evolve in anyway and stagnated and slowly fell off after L&LD. Live and Let Die and prob after that 4,5,6 are G's best albums and they are just solid IMHO... L&LD is the best prob, been a couple yrs since i heard it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gNzypRw9K4"]Platinum Plus (feat. Big Daddy Kane) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO3IwzHS_Hc"]Little Brother - Welcome To Durham feat. Big Daddy Kane - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Parrish Smith will forever be one of the most slept on greatest mc's in hip hop history.
                            (Q-Tip and Brother J from X-clan on that list as well)

People werent putting out classic 'full' albums back then (87-89) no matter how much
                            some old heads like to make believe. Tons of skits and filler on a lot of em.

I love Rakim but he's always been a little overrated....if we can be honest.

He wasnt as versatile or marketable as Kane or Cool J.

He wasnt as revolutionary or political as KRS or Chuck D.

He wasnt as street as Schooly D or Kool G.

But his influence cant be denied...

Comment

idk i consider Paid in Full a classic, it was revolutionary in it's impact, lyrically & sonically it still holds up. A time capsule of the golden era.

If i had any criticisms about it( i have a few nit picks with Illmatic even), never liked Chinese Arithmetic iah. I always skip it so i would of cut it from the album if i could. Eric B. Is on the Cut is more than enough imo, and I prob would of shortened that one by half it's run time. It's far from a "Dj Premier is in deep concentration" which i absolutely love and never get tired of.

Speaking of which i don't remember if it was on my Uncle's Xm satellite radio hiphop station or somewheres else but i heard a extended/original version of Deep Concentration 10 yrs back like 3 different times i heard it, that shit was like 9-12 mins long if not longer, never could find it again and I've been looking on and off throughout the yrs for it. Maybe it was from a set he did somewheres but i don't think so, it didn't have a live vibe to it and i could of sworn he used a few extra records during it.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X