***MUST SEE*** Premier Breaks Down His Classics With Nas, JAY-Z, Biggie & Gang Starr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***MUST SEE*** Premier Breaks Down His Classics With Nas, JAY-Z, Biggie & Gang Starr

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnLkW7_lE8"]DJ Premier Breaks Down His Classics With Nas, JAY-Z, Biggie & Gang Starr | Genius Level - YouTube[/ame]

On August 8, legendary hip-hop producer DJ Premier sat down with Genius for the latest installment of Genius Level, our live conversation series with icons of the music business, including influential artists, songwriters, producers, and executives. The event was hosted by Genius' Head of Artist Relations Rob Markman and sponsored by Cîroc and Breather. During the wide-ranging interview, Premier reflected on his legacy in hip-hop, from his early days has half of Gang Starr to his work with legends like Nas, JAY-Z, and The Notorious B.I.G.

Intro (0:00)
    What’s The Greatest DJ Premier Beat? (1:24)
    The Making of Nas’ “NY State of Mind” (2:40)
    Gang Starr’s First Press Photo (5:27)
    Premier’s Early Exposure to Music (6:04)
    The Origin of Gang Starr (8:52)
    The Making of Gang Starr’s “Just To Get A Rep” (13:24)
    Why Guru & Premier Made The Perfect Team (15:24)
    What’s The Greatest Gang Starr Album? (17:11)
    Will There Ever Be a Posthumous Gang Starr Album? (18:22)
    How KRS-One Turned Premier Into The Hottest Producer (20:38)
    The Making of Biggie’s “Kick In The Door” & Jeru’s “Day One” (22:32)
    The Making of JAY-Z’s Reasonable Doubt (26:42)
    JAY-Z’s Original Black Album Idea (28:26)
    Working with Kendrick Lamar (29:09)
    The Making of D’Angelo’s “Devil’s Pie” (31:13)
    Working With Christina Aguilera (34:58)
    How Premier Makes Beats in 2017 (37:20)
    Dabbing & Keeping Up With Modern Rap (38:38)
    Sampling Adrian Younge on PRhyme (39:47)
    Hearing A Sober Royce Da 5’9” Rap For The First Time (41:25)
    How Premier Picks Vocal Samples (44:09)
    Guru’s Famous “Lemonade Is A Popular Drink” Line (45:40)
    On Break Records & Sample Snitching (46:44)
    On Working Under Pressure (50:13)
    PRhyme 2 Update (52:46)
    Collaborating with A$AP Ferg (54:21)
    Goodbyes & Thank Yous (56:30)

@Window Lurker

@blackonboth

@Kikbak Bobby Bangz
    I like modding because it gives me the illusion I have control.

Re: ***MUST SEE*** Premier Breaks Down His Classics With Nas, JAY-Z, Biggie & Gang St

Is that intro NY state of mind or somethin else?

Comment

Re: ***MUST SEE*** Premier Breaks Down His Classics With Nas, JAY-Z, Biggie & Gang St

Originally posted by Robin Williams View Post
      Is that intro NY state of mind or somethin else?
      Yes it is

Theres a Part 2 too incase you weren't aware

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVNRjPpo68I"]N.Y. State of Mind, Pt. ll - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

For the longest with NY State of Mind pt 2 i thought the piano sample was from the original Amityville Horror (1979)... not sure why i thought that- but i was pretty confident that it was from that movie, although i haven't watched the film in many years or own a dvd/blu ray of it to baby step through it to double check and rule it out.

( use to watch it and the sequel a bunch growing up on tv, thats why i thought the music was so embedded in my memory) and i also tried digging for it on and off with the score but can't distinctly hear it in the stuff i listened to on yt to be certain.

Nobody ever posted where the sample came from on whosampled.com, just comments asking what is the origin of it. Which is odd, considering the plethora of crazy samples people know, found and posted on the site.

I am still curious af where Preem got it from, doubt anybody on here knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Justice View Post
          For the longest with NY State of Mind pt 2 i thought the piano sample was from the original Amityville Horror (1979)... not sure why i thought that- but i was pretty confident that it was from that movie, although i haven't watched the film in many years or own a dvd/blu ray of it to baby step through it to double check and rule it out.

( use to watch it and the sequel a bunch growing up on tv, thats why i thought the music was so embedded in my memory) and i also tried digging for it on and off with the score but can't distinctly hear it in the stuff i listened to on yt to be certain.

Nobody ever posted where the sample came from on whosampled.com, just comments asking what is the origin of it. Which is odd, considering the plethora of crazy samples people know, found and posted on the site.

I am still curious af where Preem got it from, doubt anybody on here knows.
          [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_GskCCFBnI?t=67[/ame]

Comment

oh nvm I thought you were talking about the original sample.

Comment

Still really upset at how that Guru/Solar gay rumor shit tainted GangStarr's legacy.

Primo 1 of the GOAT's...crazy to me how he prob wasnt even the best producer in the game during the 'TRUE' golden era (93-96) thx to Buckwild's amazing 1 1/2 year run of Godliness and RZA handling all the Wu's best solo albums/singles (GZA + RAekwon + Ghostface).

Also crazy that as good as his Gangstarr shit was.....he might've actually gave his greatest beats to other rappers (Group Home + MOP + Jeru + Bahamadia).

Comment

Originally posted by blackonboth View Post
                .....he might've actually gave his greatest beats to other rappers (Group Home + MOP + Jeru + Bahamadia).

will ponder on this tbh...
                Originally posted by Chaunce;n3231571

Site gets fixed end of this week or next btw.

Comment

Preme>>>>

I'm hyped to watch this

Comment

Justice for this thread.

Two moments had me like

@31:50. "shout out to canibus, hes the homie"

and 51:35, when he talks about ponctuality

Canibus tells his side of the story and gets into specifics @2:15

"I came up to dirty ass D&D"

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fhobpxd-VY"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fhobpxd-VY[/ame]

Comment

"First day, one hour late, second day, two hours late, third day, three hours late...

Comment

Premier is the GOAT producer tho, along with Dre

Comment

[MENTION=15763]Justice[/MENTION]

yeah the Ny state of mind pt. 2 sample has yet to be identified. Before whosampled even existed the-breaks.com forums (under the FAQ additions section) was pretty much the only place online for sample id's and to this day nobody has discovered the origins of pt. 2. And those guys over there are like fuckin archaeologists when it comes to samples. I still frequent the place from time to time but not as much as i used to like a decade ago
                          let the 40 cal give 'em a perm

Comment

i used to think Group Home was absolute trash and only gave their records a spin bc of premo's beats. And i still do.

Nah jk

they were really about that real life struggle shit and never tried to be lyrical or witty
                            let the 40 cal give 'em a perm

Comment

My best guess is that its a sample taken from Mind Rain, but I havent listen to the whole song meticulously

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X