Symbol vs Minty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symbol vs Minty

Alright, I'll start putting together a 16. When I'm done, I'll PM you, mate. Or if you're done before me, then PM me.
    Symbol
    100.00%
    Minty
    0.00%

Re: Symbol vs Minty

Sometimes, it sounds like I'm rambling
    The bars are hit or miss, so it seems that I'm gambling
    I speak a bar and then slow it down like I'm arrogant
    You know? Abar, the Queen of Egypt? No, it's not the terrorists.
    Now spin a bar backwards. A rab (Arab). I'm sounding prejudice
    One of the first to speak on this Jazz. I'm like Ella Fitz-
    Gerald like the only black guy in the class
    Hey, Arnold. Put the football to your head like a pass
    No Stewie. These boys are cow cracks. They're all gassed
    Now fall back. I don masks. You'll get glassed like cognac
    I'm no drinker, cold thinker, eyes pinker than conjunctivitis
    Life's violent, nine silent, bite this bullet? Gingivitis
    Still tryna fight it? Well, you better get your hands up
    Shut him down like perky breasts. Boy, I got them cans up!
    What now? Man, what? You mumbling? Man up!
    I'm asking all these questions expecting to get an answer.

But he's shook like a soda when it's 'bout to bust
    Fist in your girl's box. That's the way I pack a punch
    He believes it's weak til I hit him. Now he's backing up
    Put this fruit away for later. Now that's how you bag a lunch.
    Sabotage ENT
    "I'M OLD SCHOOL LIKE PEANUT BUTTER ON A MOUSETRAP."

Comment

When I first seen ya verse, I was like, "Dude... you da best,"
      What's on screen, Listerine, ice cold... Minty fresh,

But now I seen more battles in text, you don't impress, dude,
      Assassin's Creed: Couple things up ma sleeve, that'll kill you,

Slap ya so hard, there'll be letters on ya cheek... damn mint...
      ...do I have to spell the punchline out, there'll be a handprint,
      N if you try wild'n'out, like, "No he din't!"
      World WF, amma Edge this herb... Spear mint,
      You really think am scared of this nigga... I don't fear mint,
      Contradictory bars, counterfeit.... you ain't real mint,

Vs Slut, you demonized gun rhymes, like, "I don't feel this,"
      Then spit the same kinda fuckin punchlines, you better chill bitch,

You should stop for a while, take a break, have a kit-kat,
      I just put Mint in a box... Amma start callin you tic-tac, nigga

Comment

Good stuff, mate. Nice.

For some reason, it won't let me put a poll on it.

Comment

Good stuff, man.
          Sabotage ENT

Comment

Anyone care to give their opinion on this battle?

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
              Before I say this is a weak opener, I'm going to read a little more. It may go somewhere.

The opener went nowhere. The Queen of Egypt and stereotypical terrorist portrayed in American media has nothing to do with the battle. I kind of see what you were doing a bar. A+bar = Abar. If we spin bar backwards we get rab but the Queen's name was Abar, not bar. Spinning her name backwards would be Raba. This was too much of a stretch.

Okay, you were the first to speak on that stuff, Ella Fitz Gerald was one of the first jazz musicians. I watched Hey Arnold, I remember Gerald being the only black kid in class. First two bars were another stretch. You threw a "punch" with the Gerald line by using the previous line as a set up. It didn't work because the Gerald from Hey Arnold had nothing to do with the first Jazz Musicians. Is Arnold supposed to be Symbol? I don't think so. If he was, why are you saying "hey" to him mid verse? I get your linking Gerald to Hey Arnold then Stewie to the football shaped head thing but why? You're not throwing punches with this stuff. Cow cracks and all gassed was bland.

Glassed like cognac was a cool jab at Symbol. First one so far. But now you're talking about yourself again. You don't drink, you're a cold thinker but your eyes are pinker than eye inflammation. You don't say why. If I had to guess I'd say it's because you smoke but you didn't say anything about weed. A violent life and a silent nine has squat to do with inflammation of the gums. I've never heard of someone getting gingivitis from biting a bullet. Not brushing, yes. Biting bullets, no.

Wording was shaky to me but "got them cans up" was a decent line.

This had a lot of potential but you didn't go in depth. You got a soda, some punch and a fruit. Hardly a lunch. Closing scheme was lackluster.

Comment

When I first seen ya verse, I was like, "Dude... you da best,"
                What's on screen, Listerine, ice cold... Minty fresh,
                Opening with a compliment. Let's see how you use this to your advantage.

But now I seen more battles in text, you don't impress, dude,
                Assassin's Creed: Couple things up ma sleeve, that'll kill you,
                You didn't use your set up but a cool punch. Opener was "meh".

Slap ya so hard, there'll be letters on ya cheek... damn mint...
                ...do I have to spell the punchline out, there'll be a handprint,
                Good set up and a well executed punch. Nice one right here.

N if you try wild'n'out, like, "No he din't!"
                World WF, amma Edge this herb... Spear mint,
                You really think am scared of this nigga... I don't fear mint,
                Contradictory bars, counterfeit.... you ain't real mint,
                Good punch and observation of character.

Vs Slut, you demonized gun rhymes, like, "I don't feel this,"
                Then spit the same kinda fuckin punchlines, you better chill bitch,
                An informing statement and nothing more.

You should stop for a while, take a break, have a kit-kat,
                I just put Mint in a box... Amma start callin you tic-tac, niggaI seen this coming but it as an okay closer.

Damn mint/Hand print was line of the battle followed up by fear mint/Spear Mint. That bar wasn't spectacular, it was just put together well. Majority of the battle Minty was rambling about himself, a weakness he acknowledged but did very little to correct. If you erased the second half of his verse, you wouldn't even know he was in a battle. Minty went far too long without attacking Symbol, that is a problem. Nearly the entire verse was spent attempting extremely vague and stretched wordplay that never connected and wouldn't have done damage even if it did.
                To summarize his methods, Minty was going A to C and skipping B. He didn't build the proper bridges. On the occasion where he did build a bridge, he wasn't leading Symbol to hell. He was taking him for a friendly skip through the Rainbow meadows. Hands up/Cans up aside, he didn't touch Symbol. He had the multis and great in rhyming but no substance.

Symbol wasn't on his best here whatsoever. He had line of the battle and bars that were put together properly.
                My vote is for Symbol with a clean win. But before I make an official vote, I'd like for Minty to explain his bars. I'm 95% sure that Symbol got this easy but on the off chance that Minty had some real crack, I want to make sure I've made the right call. To some degree I'm sure the bars will make sense to him since he made them. However, I still believe they're going to be stretched meanings that barely work.

Comment

I usually don't do this but:

(I was addressing the fact that it seems like my bars are empty and only a few will understand)

(Usually people slow down bars because they assume the audience won't understand. Abar was a Nubian (Sub-Saharan) Queen of Egypt, so she wasn't Semitic like most Egyptians and Arabs. People in the West assume Arabs are terrorists when the terrorist attacks were conducted by Afghans, a different people. So, I'm saying I'm arrogant for assuming the audience is ignorant.)

(Ella Fitzgerald was the first jazz vocalist. Jazz was completely instrumental before she sang to it. Jazz can also be used as slang for "nonsense". I'm saying I'm one of the first to address the nonsensical assumption that the audience is ignorant. Gerald was the only black guy in his class on a cartoon called "Hey Arnold!". This, again, goes with Abar who was the only Nubian with power in a country full of a different race. The class refers to social class.)

(Both Arnold from Hey Arnold! and Stewie from Family Guy have football shaped heads. So when I "put the football to your head like a pass", I'm saying I was aiming to get to your head, but you missed it because people usually catch with their hands and the quarterback in football try to make the ball go to the receiver's hands to make it easy for them instead of challenging them.

Cows' flatulence is a major cause of increased methane in the atmosphere. To be gassed is to be fooled.)

(To get glassed is to get beat up bad. I don't drink, so cognac isn't relevant to me. When I want to beat somebody, I think long and hard. When you stay up for long periods of time, your eyes become bloodshot red. Conjunctivitis is commonly known as "pink eye".

If you "bite the bullet", you get shot. The bullets I'm using aren't good for you like too much sugar, so if you literally bite it, you'll have dental problems. Since conjunctivitis is inflammation of the eyes, I choose a condition that is the inflammation of the gums.)

(Pretty straightforward. Hands up=ready to fight and also a sign of surrendering when a gun is pointed at you.)

(Pretty straightforward imagery. Soda, punch, and fruit are found in a lunch bag.)

I wasn't really battling symbol. I just posted some bars to see how people would react to them and also to see the type of bars symbol has since he's new here.
                  Sabotage ENT

Comment

@Origin, i like the huge effort you put into your constructive criticism...

but

im sorry, this isnt a 2005 textcee battle where bars have to legitimately sound proper and seem absolutely logical, etc. Kids were so critical back then and even years later...FOR NO REASON. Your comment about Minty's Abar The Queen Of Egypt Bar almost sounds like youve taken offense, you mad bro? This is a goddamn battle...Since when is rapping about "Abar" something you cant talk about unless it has to "do with the battle."
                    What in God's name...

You are reading too much into these battles and taking alot of things way to literal.

Comment

I didn't take offense to it whatsoever. I observed what I perceived to be a flaw in his writing and explained how he could correct it. Of course you can talk about bars during a battle, my main issue was that none of it was relevant to his opponent. Overall that kind of material is why I believe Symbol won. I could just have easily said "ROFLMAO SYMBOL GOT DAT" but I didn't. I try to be detailed as possible with my voting and I encourage the emcees to let me know if I've overlooked something.

Ex, where judging is concerned you and I have differing values. That subjectivity is the most beautiful part of this artform. I'm not vexed, I enjoy that aspect.

Comment

Yeah yeah I get what your saying. Obviously you'd look like a moron if you did the whole roflmao symbol got dat. Cmon don't exaggerate now. But i still think think your're being over-critical, when it isnt really necessary. Especially on this site....i mean, alot of these text battles are influenced from rap battles. Meaning you dont really find alot of legitimate"textcee's" on here...So your bar for bar breakdowns are sorta useless because we're all trying to deliver hot bars, creative wordplay and sick multies as if we were on that stage, Live. Entertaining shit to say the least (reason why relevancy to an opponent may not be considered all the time). It's like a fusion of audio meets text but in text battle format.

Your bar for bar breakdowns are meant for the hardcore, nerd-out textcees who have been at it for years...and dont drop verses until days later in a battle (due to the amount of time writingg and crafting verses). This isnt the same kind of text battling you're used to reading in other words.

Comment

Completely understand both sides of the arguement. I will say, I think its cool origin puts the time into to reading our bars and expressing his opinion. I seee what ex means though. I write my text battles as if I were gonna perform them to a live audience. I use my punctuation to show where my pauses are and outline the flow and cadence for the readers. I aim to one day battle at livre events so I practice for that format I think the better rappers on otbva hav a similiar approach, to get them ready for that crossover to live battling. Not all do I'm sure. You get what I'm saying though? I'll quit ramblling, thanks for the thought provoking convo guys.

Boatslanger out!!!
                          ACAFD!

ALL CAPS ALL FUCKIN DAY!

Comment

Edit : gave sym the win. Let me know if u need a breakdown
                            ACAFD!

ALL CAPS ALL FUCKIN DAY!

Comment

I appreciate Origin.
                              Sabotage ENT

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X