How to DEFEAT Internet Forum Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to DEFEAT Internet Forum Addiction

I am going to be truthful here and this is a pure but truthful fact, I was actually addicted to the forums I used to visit. I was actually thinking of the posters as if they were real people and I was thinking more about them rather than my OWN LIFE.
    My health actually suffered but here are some steps to take.
    Make sure the Internet is in a PUBLIC PLACE, like the living room never the bedroom.
    Learn a hobby which involves your hands like making objects or knitting.
    And try to change your everyday existance, for the Internet should be a ally not a enemy. I have noticed how drained and tired I feel when I waste my time online and do any of you too???

Re: How to DEFEAT Internet Forum Addiction

Is it real ?

I used to be an addict of another forum. I would spend hours on that forum just waiting for replies to my posts. I would be there at times when it was absolutely dead, just sitting there & waiting while the posts came in ... one post on the board a minute, one every 2 minutes, whatever ...
    I think there were a few days where I made 100 posts in a single day. But the worst was the days where I didn't even make a ton of posts, but just sat there and vegetated, feeling my brain go numb as I waited for new posts to come into the forum, reading every post. I also hated when I'd stay up so late posting that I didn't get enough sleep and so would be tired at work.

I joined this forum while I was still on that forum, and posted responsibly, ... just under 1 post per day for a good year and a half ... going a week or two without any posts, then making a number of posts for a few days, then going another while without any posts ...

So I quit that forum about a week ago, and now I'm doing on this forum what I used to do on that forum. I was able to stay away for a day yesterday, but I'm back today.

Just one post ... it turns into a "binge" of reading threads and posting ...

For me, an internet connected computer is like a bar for an alcoholic.

I'm addicted to sugar, too.

I have very little social life other than message boards.

I hate how numb my brain feels after having spent a day on the internet. It sucks. I like how my brain feels when I engage in activities such as reading and exercise, studying a new project, whatever ... But I'm so lazy that I avoid doing those things, even though they feel so good. It's just so tough to get myself motivated to get started. And even if I do get started, and get some work done, I feel like rewarding myself with the internet or sugar or just sitting around and it turns into another binge of laziness & doing nothing, wasting beautiful days not even going outside all day.

I think I might possibly have clinical depression.

Comment

Found this little tidbit on the interweb this morning and thought it needed to be shared. Ok, what are some of the other signs of -Forum Addiction?

Overcoming Internet Forum Addiction: Signs and Countermeasures of a New Legal Addiction

By K. Valentine
      Takeaways

* To overcome an Internet forum addiction, GET OFF THE INTERNET!

Murphy's Law- Corollary: "Every solution breeds new problems!" The Internet provides a plethora of forums for worldwide communication. While these forums are very beneficial for gathering instant information and as a way for everyone to express their opinions, they bring forth a new problem: Internet Forum Addiction. Some symptoms and problems I have witness from Internet addition are as follows:
      Spending hours in front of a computer screen reading through forums.
      This is the easiest symptom to spot. The Internet forum addict in question is simply spending too much time in front of a computer staring at the computer screen. I can see the irony of this statement as I am currently sitting in front of a computer typing something for an Internet blog site and chances are you are sitting in front of an computer screen reading this. The difference between us and the Internet forum addict is that when I sit to type this, I aim only to finish this article. And I assume you are reading this in an attempt to drive off an Internet forum addict.
      The Internet forum addict stares at the computer screen simply to browse for information and talk to who knows who on another computer screen. By spending hours living his or her virtual life online, his or her real life is wasting away. Instead of browsing for information to experience, he or she could be out actually experiencing what they are searching about online. The more time a person spends online on forums, the less time is spent on actual communication skills. I met a few online forum buddies in real life who have no social graces or concepts of how to act among real people. Nothing beats reality. I don't mean to be crude, but I'd rather play a mandolin as opposed to typing about it on a forum.
      Overreacting to anyone who disagrees with his or her given opinion.
      Internet forums allow anyone to post anonymously. Anonymity brings out the best and worst of people. They can post about sensitive topics to others without reciprocity, which can help in certain issues. But often times, anonymity simply allows people to call other people idiots and other worse insults. As an Internet forum user, insults are just part of the communication. An addict will overreact to the insults directed at his or her opinions and will then insult anyone who disagrees with his or her opinion. This accomplishes nothing and is a waste of time. Some addicts will take the insults too personally and bring it up in the real world. Suicide has even occurred because of this, which is a definite sign of spending too much time online.
      Loss of proper spelling and grammar skills when typing.
      Because of the instant gratification that Internet communication provides, users have caught up with the speed by typing acronyms, shortened words, and poor grammar to communicate. This may be okay for the Internet forums. But when people take this style of typing and grammar into real communication, it's not okay. When I was in a group project for class, we communicated on the Internet forums designated for the project. I admit my grammar and typing matched the lingo of the usual user and we all understood each other. We hit a huge problem when the group member assigned to type up the reports actually used "AFAIK" and other acronyms in the report to our professor. He said he always typed like that. I had to rewrite the report and our group fired the guy, who now had a lot more time to spend on whatever forums he frequented.
      Innate ability to recall virtually every Internet meme and viral video.
      The Internet has enabled a lot of people to come up with stupid things on the Internet causing others to mimic it or record themselves doing stupid things and sharing it online. Some of these instances have resulted in Internet stardom and Internet forums have contributed to the madness. People have grown to emulating the videos and memes in the real world, where they're not as funny as they were on the Internet. And since these memes and viral videos are already on the Internet, they're not even original. Internet forum addicts are losing their originality.
      So what can be done to reduce Internet forum addiction? My simple solution is get off the Internet. It's easy for me since my Internet connection at home is spotty and I am often disconnected. So when the connection often cracks out, I simply do something else. I play the mandolin, I write songs, I call my friends, I go out with my friends, or I go shopping for my mandolin collection. For those with stable Internet connections, simply walking away isn't a simple solution. But the idea remains the same: get off the Internet and do something else. Be proactive and get off the keyboard and find something else to get legally addicted to; preferably with other real people. I hear ballroom dancing is fun.

Comment

Did you ever imagine yourself having sex with any of the posters?

And how big of a dick did you imagine me having?

Comment

It's cool that you're being honest and open though. I used to be addicted to pc gaming as a teen and then realized it was a problem when people's lives around me were changing for the good, and all I had were some kill death ratios on a fucking game with people I'd never meet. I'd go to bed thinking about it, dream about it, and wake up early just to play it. Lost a lot of years and friends due to my addiction that I'll never get back, but I look at everything i experience in life as a learning experience.

The best way to look at it is:

Is what you're doing affecting other things that benefit your life? Ex.) job, friends, health, etc
          How much time have you wasted on what you're doing and are there any peiorities that should come first?
          Do you feel bad afterwards? If so, why?

Comment

did eklon just exposed his teenage anti-social gaming routines?

Comment

I'm just trying to help a fellow unnamed O member out. Dude has some real issues and thought I might help him out.

Comment

a friend of mine, sean showed me some articles on internet forum addictions.

It's apparently a very serious thing and literally cripples people's lifes.

Comment

Yea I could tell my health was hurting from it.

Comment

Originally posted by cuckalon View Post
                    It's cool that you're being honest and open though. I used to be addicted to pc gaming as a teen and then realized it was a problem when people's lives around me were changing for the good, and all I had were some kill death ratios on a fucking game with people I'd never meet. I'd go to bed thinking about it, dream about it, and wake up early just to play it. Lost a lot of years and friends due to my addiction that I'll never get back, but I look at everything i experience in life as a learning experience.

The best way to look at it is:

Is what you're doing affecting other things that benefit your life? Ex.) job, friends, health, etc
                    How much time have you wasted on what you're doing and are there any peiorities that should come first?
                    Do you feel bad afterwards? If so, why?
                    That last part is great

Comment

There is something unsettling about seeking guidance for a forum addiction from a forum itself. My short answer is, shut up and post more.
                      The 40 dumping off'a Kurbz side
                      ...This is for my dead homies!!!...

Comment

Robin dropping gems
                        I like modding because it gives me the illusion I have control.

Comment

Damn i got a thing for sugar too...

Love me some mountain dew
                          I like modding because it gives me the illusion I have control.

Comment

Originally posted by King Kurbz View Post
                            There is something unsettling about seeking guidance for a forum addiction from a forum itself. My short answer is, shut up and post more.

Nvm,
                            Just clocked it was about Porter

Shut up and post less.
                            The 40 dumping off'a Kurbz side
                            ...This is for my dead homies!!!...

Comment

I was gonna be a dick and just say a razorblade tbh...

But internet addiction is a real problem that people like [MENTION=32240]Clarke Reloaded[/MENTION] suffer from

He is honestly convinced he is a great lyricist and can become a rapper

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X