Net Neutrality Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net Neutrality Review

Honestly... before I place my final input on this subject...

What are your thoughts about this?

Does the Facebook live murders have something to do with this?

Is the government funding off these globally known websites?

Or this there another conspiracy theorist might want to add?

Or is this Republicans fault?
    Originally posted by Clarke Reloaded
    Originally posted by ekeanon
    I'm glad I got to witness your life
    Glad you got to be a part of the legacy :kanyehappy::colbertsalute:
    White people are like cancer. But its funny how white people die from cancer... is that ironic or a sign from God? :kid:

Re: Net Neutrality Review

It will be like the internet in 2015. The same.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarke Reloaded View Post

...what?

Comment

I didnt need Wikipedia for this one
        White people are like cancer. But its funny how white people die from cancer... is that ironic or a sign from God? :kid:

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
          It will be like the internet in 2015. The same.
          The same like 2015? Thats 2 years from now? What do you mean?

Comment

You know it's 2017, right? It's important to me that you know that.

Comment

Essentially the purpose behind deregulating net neutrality is laissez-faire principles. Let the private sector do whatever it want's without the government stepping in. This means Comcast or Verison will be able to pick and choose which sites (and competitors) you get to see, and can lower your speeds to commonly used sites like Facebook, twitch, twitter then charge you more for a plan that has high speed(regular speed) connection to those sites.

As we all know the Cable companies are running a monopoly right now. What these politicians are planning on doing is strengthening that monopoly. Typically in a capitalist country like America, the government would step in to create competition not eliminate it/make it harder. It's called crony capitalism, where a giant corporation(s) will pay politicians a few thousand dollars to vote a certain way, then if they get their way they'll pay them even more.

If net neutrality gets removed it's not going to be the same like in 2015 as [MENTION=19872]Moose[/MENTION] said. They're going to milk consumers for every penny. You wanna stream netflix in 1080p? Well you better upgrade to a plan that offers highspeed netflix streaming. Oh what's that a new start up company in your area charging lower prices? well we'll just not let you see that. You need to use Facebook to talk to your doctor? Well too bad because you didnt pay for a plan that offers high speed facebook connection.

Comment

If the government actually intended on fighting the monopoly and creating competition among the Cable companies then they would create a public option. A free public wifi hotspot that anyone can connect to. So if comcast decides to slow down facebook connection speeds unless the costumer pays for a facebook high speed plan, then they'll just use the public option of free wifi that has reasonable facebook speed. Ultimately they'll quit paying for comcast, which forces comcast to compete, higher speeds lower prices. If NN gets deregulated then they'll have higher prices and lower speeds. Everyone will be affected by this, not just people whouse the internet all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tadgh View Post
                  Originally posted by Clarke Reloaded View Post

...what?
                  wats ur input on this matter.

How do you feel about politicians throwing basic principles of freedom and capitalism out the window for a few thousand dollars?

Comment

Monopoly =/= Oligopoly

Comment

Other than that I basically agree with what you were saying. You laid out the worst case scenario, of course, but it's not unrealistic that it could be very similar. I'm all for stopping the repeal (already made a post with links to petitions and such). Congress can stop the FCC, but I'm not sure they will. They've surveyed people multiple times and have taken millions of correspondence from Americans. The overwhelming (in the 90-99% range) majority are for NN. Even with it being so imbalanced to one site (the NN side) we're still here now, which means the FCC doesn't particularly care.

Netflix was a bad example, imo. They're too huge for ISPs to threaten with market power. But the concept you laid out is still pretty close. The final proposal for repealing NN was released today. It's about 210 pages so I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it seems like the only "old" rule they're keeping is that ISPs will have to publicly disclose when they plan on doing some fucky stuff. Which doesn't mean they'll ever be told not to proceed with said fucky stuff. NN repeal proponents seem to be falling back on the antitrust laws as an answer for any potential negative impact this could have, which doesn't work because antitrust laws are rarely enforced.

It's odd that this comes at the same time Virgin, Amazon and SpaceX are working to provide global broadband. Branson maintains that they could begin providing global broadband (to an extent) by 2019 with SpaceX and Amazon not far behind. SpaceX is planning on launching 4,000+ satellites in that time frame.

So while repealing NN will be some major steps backwards, imo, it seems we're not far off from taking some massive leaps forward.

Comment

Clark if u wanna know what net neutrality is fam just ask dont pretend like u already know.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Williams View Post
                          If net neutrality gets removed it's not going to be the same like in 2015 as [MENTION=19872]Moose[/MENTION] said. They're going to milk consumers for every penny. You wanna stream netflix in 1080p? Well you better upgrade to a plan that offers highspeed netflix streaming. Oh what's that a new start up company in your area charging lower prices? well we'll just not let you see that. You need to use Facebook to talk to your doctor? Well too bad because you didnt pay for a plan that offers high speed facebook connection.
                          Uh huh, just like pre-2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                            Originally posted by Robin Williams View Post
                            Uh huh, just like pre-2015.
                            Link to whatever you're referencing. I don't remember being blocked from certain sites or having slower speeds for certain sites and having to pay for a plan that offers regular connection speed to sites they feel like slowign down.

Comment

That's the point.

Wow you're fucking retarded.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X