• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Rakim The Most Technically Sound Mc Ever

Originally posted by Justice View Post
    Always Rakim over Kane & Kool G for me.

Comment

Honestly, Rakim is undoubtedly one of the greatest, but I think Ras Kass was just as good if not maybe better. I say was because Soul On Ice was a lyrical masterpiece and he never topped that.

Comment

Ras Kass is under appreciated as rapper, Soul On Ice is a underrated album, it's a very dark & bleak album as well(except for like Miami Life iirc), some real originality on here with some of the concepts too.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc0dnWbr8Bk"]Nature Of The Threat - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycQ17UAvNqI"]On Earth As It Is... - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zvBUQMUGU"]The Evil That Men Do - YouTube[/ame]

That album was going for a grip on a Ebay for years since it is/was OOP and still hasn't been reissued last time i checked, i seen prices up to 100 for a cd at one point. The cassette was going for 30-40 too.
        I like modding because it gives me the illusion I have control.

Comment

rakim was the first do mutlisyllable rhyming etc when people in the 80 was still rapping like this

i love cats
          blue red shat

then rakim debut in 1986 and came with this

[Verse 1: Rakim ]
          Thinking of a master plan
          Cause ain’t nothing but sweat inside my hand

he rhymed three syllables in 2 lines
          internally rhyming and end rhyming combined !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew Money View Post
            Honestly, Rakim is undoubtedly one of the greatest, but I think Ras Kass was just as good if not maybe better. I say was because Soul On Ice was a lyrical masterpiece and he never topped that.
            yeah ras kass clever / complex wordplay and punchlines were ridiculous

but he did not have the flow or the rhyme schemes that rakim never !

Comment

Originally posted by blackonboth View Post
              Parrish Smith will forever be one of the most slept on greatest mc's in hip hop history.
              (Q-Tip and Brother J from X-clan on that list as well)

People werent putting out classic 'full' albums back then (87-89) no matter how much
              some old heads like to make believe. Tons of skits and filler on a lot of em.

I love Rakim but he's always been a little overrated....if we can be honest.

He wasnt as versatile or marketable as Kane or Cool J.

He wasnt as revolutionary or political as KRS or Chuck D.

He wasnt as street as Schooly D or Kool G.

But his influence cant be denied...

schooly d lmao

Comment

Rakim was never a punchline rapper... Thought i was a donut, she tried to glaze me type shit is the extent of him ever doing them.

Imo the conversation should be who are the best/most technical emcees (ex 10-12 of them) and stack'em against Rakim to see where and in what order he/others falls.

Off top i'd name

Pun

MF DOOM

AZ

Lupe

Nas (thats the thing with Nas, the Illmatic era - and It Was Written Nas def earns a spot and is interchangeable between the two on preference ... They are NOT the same emcee/rapper)

Kool G (honorary mention based on the conversation)

Pusha T (yeah he deserves to be in it too)

Canibus

Em ( i don't like him but he's in the convo)

Elzhi

Inspecta Deck/Ghostface/Gza

Chino XL (if Em & Canibus is included than he should too for the sake of discussion)

Guru

Kool Moe Dee(for his time he was the man)

R A The Rugged Man

Biggie

I agree about Kool Keith to a extent as a inclusion(He ain't touching Rakim tho).

But if you're gonna include Keith then you gotta include Percee P & Masta Ace. Immortal Technique really belongs in the convo too, perhaps even Joe Budden, but he would fall in the lower category tho, beneath at least half the list . CL Smooth is a underrated lyricist, doesn't really get acknowledge on his own for his pen. Not to mention that buttery smooth flow & voice.
                the ones i bolded should be mentioned

the ones i did not bold should not be mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mario View Post
                  Parrish Smith will forever be one of the most slept on greatest mc's in hip hop history.

People werent putting out classic 'full' albums back then (87-89) no matter how much

schooly d lmao
                  You apparently never heard of schooly d to reply like that

People cite him as the original gangster rapper bruh

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ8g4FCNYtQ"]Rakim - The Mystery ( Who Is God) - YouTube[/ame]

idk if he's the most technically sound or w/e and I don't really care. But he changed the way rappers flow, maybe even invented flow really and he will always be a legend and my fave emcee.

Comment

Rakim was never a punchline rapper... Thought i was a donut, she tried to glaze me type shit is the extent of him ever doing them.

Imo the conversation should be who are the best/most technical emcees (ex 10-12 of them) and stack'em against Rakim to see where and in what order he/others falls.

Off top i'd name

Pun

MF DOOM

AZ

Lupe

Nas (thats the thing with Nas, the Illmatic era - and It Was Written Nas def earns a spot and is interchangeable between the two on preference ... They are NOT the same emcee/rapper)

Canibus

Elzhi

Chino XL (if Em & Canibus is included than he should too for the sake of discussion)

Guru

R A The Rugged Man

Biggie

I agree about Kool Keith to a extent as a inclusion(He ain't touching Rakim tho).

But if you're gonna include Keith then you gotta include Percee P & Masta Ace. Immortal Technique really belongs in the convo too, perhaps even Joe Budden, but he would fall in the lower category tho, beneath at least half the list . CL Smooth is a underrated lyricist, doesn't really get acknowledge on his own for his pen. Not to mention that buttery smooth flow & voice.

Can you give me a short blurb to each name you didn't highlight- the ones in blue. Interested as to your reasoning/argument for like 4 of them. You can leave out Kool Keith tho. Rass Kass could be argued, forgot about him till Drew brought him up

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Is My Name View Post
                        Rakim - The Mystery ( Who Is God) - YouTube

idk if he's the most technically sound or w/e and I don't really care. But he changed the way rappers flow, maybe even invented flow really and he will always be a legend and my fave emcee.
                        I agree with most of this but not the "invented flow". Kool Moe Dee was rapping with a impressive/complex type of flow that stood out from other rappers at the time way back early early 80's.
                        YEARS before Rakim. Moe Dee was ahead of the curve back then, the fact that he was directly influenced others at that time. Just as Rakim was in 87-88.

Kool Moe Dee actions also indirectly influenced battle rap as we know it today. Because it helped to popularized/pull the spot light on that particular aspect of the hiphop culture (from Busy B to LL) There is a direct correlation between the two, wether people know it or not.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IydP1lUzFWQ"]The New Rap Language / Spoonie Gee & The Treacherous Three / 1980 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XG7gw4RIA"]Kool Moe Dee Live At Harlem World 1981 (Busy Bee VS Kool Moe Dee Battle) Old School Hip Hop / Hiphop - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt2vPJNKigQ"]Kool Moe Dee - Live 1985 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

schooly d lmao
                          You apparently never heard of schooly d to reply like that

People cite him as the original gangster rapper bruh
                          i get that but as a mc nah homie he ass lyrically even back then for those standards.

Comment

Off top i'd name

Pun

MF DOOM

AZ

Lupe

Canibus

Elzhi

Guru

R A The Rugged Man

Biggie

Can you give me a short blurb to each name you didn't highlight- the ones in blue. Interested as to your reasoning/argument for like 4 of them. You can leave out Kool Keith tho. Rass Kass could be argued, forgot about him till Drew brought him up
                            chino xl he trash hever stood out to me he uses similes every damm line forced punchlines dude is trash

ra the rugged man never was trash his albums are ass same with his lyrics

kool mo dee while a pinoneer was never that great technically speaking imo

Comment

[MENTION=15763]Justice[/MENTION] the only mc's that should be mentioned with rakim imo are these people

makaveli aka 2pac
                              nas
                              kool g rap
                              big l
                              big punisher
                              gza
                              big daddy kane
                              krs-one
                              black thought
                              andre 3000
                              ice cube
                              common sense
                              camron
                              jadakiss
                              styles p
                              crooked i
                              royce da 59
                              pharoahe monch
                              eminem
                              lil wayne
                              canibus
                              ti
                              lord finesse
                              ludacris
                              twista
                              k rino
                              dmx
                              jay-z
                              redman
                              elzhi
                              mf doom

Comment

Nobody said Schooly was a lyricist/ or a rappers rapper kind of emcee. Only a fool would.

Take away the 5% shit, the infamous back cover with 50 cent and Supreme and the Paid in Full type of mentally and there is nothing connecting Rakim to the streets in anyway whatsoever cause Rakim never rapped about it, blackonboth stated streetwise hench mentioning Kool G along with him due to the contents of his lyrics/raps.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X